A commercial edging machine ??

Greetings all.

Just for my general knowledge (or lack thereof). I was working on a landscaped site. There were several beds probably about 20 foot x 40 foot. The edges had been edged to about a depth of 5", cutting through about an inch of top soil and about 4 inches of sandy clay.

Looked too neat and probably too difficult to have been done by hand. The edge was a uniform bevel. Definitely far beyound the capability of the typical 'garden edger'. This was a nice job, removed a lot of dirt which was mounded in the center part of the bed.

Is there a commercial landscaping machine used for this purpose ??? What's the name or trade name ??

Thx in advance...

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Just a guess but could be a little Mantis tiller with the edging attachment.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Thanks !!!

Peter

Reply to
Peter

I use a Weedeater turned on its side and walk backwards. With a steady hand, you can get a perfect looking edge. I learned this from watching professional landscapers. No need to buy a separate edging machine--why maintain another gas-powered machine?

Reply to
Phisherman

I use a string trimmer for edging/grooming too, along my driveway and walkways, but it's not going to dig down 5" and pile earth into a mound, in fact any earth it dislodges is flung far and wide. It sounds to me from what the OP describes is that initially a small tiller was used (or dug by hand) and then the sod edge maintained with a string trimmer. However with regular/constant use over a couple of years a string trimmer alone will eventually create a fairly large bevel/champher at a lawn edge, but still the soil removed will not create a mound, it will be flung away. And by creating such a deep champher too much root at the edge of the sod will be exposed to the point that the edge will begin to die back and look awful, so not a very smart practice... often lawn service crews will strive to create a large champer where the sod meets a bed or a curb, they try to create a dead space at as many borders as possible in order to make their mowing easier and faster.

Reply to
brooklyn1