Yellow plu tomatoes

I've seen a new variety of yellow plum tomatoes in the cataloges this year- has anyone tried them? I was interested to read about the San Marzano and will have to look for them this year. I've grown the Cherokee heirloom tomatoe and really liked the taste- they are a deep maroon color.

Reply to
nprice

Well, unless San Marzano is different where you are, they are not yellow.

I grew a couple of San Marzano plants outdoors here in the UK last year, so they're pretty hardy. They are also very tasty, RED, classic Italian plum tomatoes!

(They're not difficult to find - try

or a similar site.)

I will be planting a lot more of them this year and rather less of the silly heritage tomatoes I planted last year.

That said, "Lemon vine" isn't bad as far as yellow "plum" tomatoes go

- and certainly very productive, even grown out of doors in pots.

(I have taken note of your comment about Cherokee though and will go and see if I can buy it from the web.)

Reply to
Mary

I am not sure what variety of tomato I am growing however it is yellow bell shaped fruit about the size of a currant. The plant is very late maturing, it set fruit quite some time ago however things are finally starting to yellow up. It has been deset by blight (late blight I think) that has watsed part of the plant. The blight also wasted part of a grosse lisse growing alongside. We have had a cool moist summer thus far which is greta for blight, bad for early maturing of tomatos. Can't yet tell you how they taste.

rob

Reply to
George.com

tried one tonight, not bad, a very muted taste alongside red tomatos. Maybe it needs to ripen a little more to boost the flavours.

rob

Reply to
George.com