What does it mean if Zukes ...

Hi All,

No lawn watering this year. And, I got a watering wand. I stick it under the canopy and blast away. So far, no white powder mold. Yipee. I adjust the amount of water till the leaves stopped wilting at the hottest part of day. The little dears get pampered.

What does it mean when zukes:

1) their leaves start turning yellow? Am I missing a nutrient? (Leaves and not wilting.) I Have this on one plant on each side of the yard.

2) The zukes plants (5) on the side of the yard that are shaded by the tomatoes are huge. But only one fruit per plant this years. Lot of flowers though. Only one failed fruit in the past two weeks. The plants on the other side of the yard with direct sunlight are much smaller. And I get 1 to 2 fruit off each of them each week. What does this mean?

Many thanks,

-T

T wrote: ...

could be that they figure they are done. there can be variation between one plant and another - some seed mixes include seeds from other varieties to help improve pollination/fruiting. could be borers, could be nutrients, could be water/heat stress, ...

sounds like a pollination issue to me.

has it been pretty hot during this time?

are you seeing bees on/in the blossoms?

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I have compose and Dr. Earth's general purpose organic fertilizer. Would you try one or both? The compose has minerals added to it. (They give you a report, if you ask for it.)

I have adjusted the water so the leaves do not wilt during the worst heat of the day.

90 to 100 F. Humidity 10-20 %

Yes. They chase me off. Those bees that don't make honey.

Only one failed fruit. When they don't get pollinated, I see a lot of failed fruit. They look pretty sad.