The results of Humanure research!

Hello all, I just wanted to let you know that, from my research, I have discovered that home composted humanure is safe, if handled and composted correctly. Here is a VERY simplified description of how to do it.....

You must #1 Build compost bins similar to your typical wooden compost bins usually in two to three stalls of four by four sections for the two to three years it takes.

#2 compost it in high carbon medium with plenty of urine (pee and poo in a container with a carbon source like sawdust and cover after every use). Then you should cover every deposit in the bin with straw or some such medium until it is totally covered.

#3 allow it to compost for a year, all the while adding your excrement every day with the carbon medium, this will compost in a thermophilic manner (check with a thermometer for high enough temp.) and then...

#4 allow it to "mellow" for another year and if there is a population with a known illness then do it for two. Add worms to aid in the conversion if they don't already exist. Eisenia fetida (the common "red wiggler" or "redworm") is best for the role.

Of course, this is the extremely simplified version but no known common pathogens will survive in harmful quantities with this method! You can and there are plenty who do use this manure for edible foods and they do not get sick!

Btw, please don't try it without getting *detailed* info on how to do it! As with most things it is wise to learn as much about it as you can before attempting it.

My thanks to everyone who helped! Gello

Reply to
Gello

I'm sure Gello won't mind if I post this:

Bill

Excellent! Thanks for posting this.

Gello

Reply to