The Horn Worms are Back

I have caught it quickly so no real harm done but her my question.... It seems like I read to take a flash light to the plants after dark and the worm will "glow". Am I correct or did I dream this up? Google doesn't seem to want to help me find this answer tonight. MJ

Reply to
mjciccarel

sorry, doesn't sound familiar to me and i'm offline at the moment.

we catch 'em in the early morning by inspecting the plants every day until they are cleared out. some years are better or worse than others as far as how many.

sometimes we can hear them chewing.

we look for their droppings on the ground and then trace them upwards.

we also trim off chewed leaves so that any new damage is visible, then we know we've got a new worm.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Yep the droppings are the key and cleaning up the stripped branches. I tried the light thing last night and found nothing. Checked just now (5:30am) and found nothing except a toad that scared the #&*% out of me. I did find the flashlight trick (?) under "Country Lor" last night so I will keep trying it as well as the other methods. I hate those creepy worms MJ

Reply to
mjciccarel

If they have about 1/4 white eggs on them let them live. It will not be for long.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Reply to
mjciccarel

Spray the tomatoes once a week and after rainstorms with BTK.

Reply to
phorbin