sunshine requirements for vegetables

hello!

I live in a city and I have a small garden. The sunshine that I have in some places is a bit limited but in other (places of the garden) is better.

I have already planted some vegetables (Cucurbitaceae, rain-fed melon, pumpkin, beans) in cups and now I want to plant them at the garden.

Do you know which of them have the most sunshine requirements ? thanks a lot!

Reply to
coykiesaol

All of the ones listed need maximum sun to thrive and produce a crop, there are some veges that will do with less sun but not those where you eat the fruit. It takes much energy to grow fruit especially the big ones like pumpkins.

If your sunlight is very limited try less demanding veges like leafy greens and herbs.

BTW in a small garden pumpkin is your last choice, at the moment I have one plant that covers about 60 sq m, it isn't the largest I grown.

What is a rain fed melon?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Some of my green beans only get 4 hours of full sun, plus a couple of hours of filtered sun. They are in an experimental bed, to see what can be grown. The bed is only a year old, and last year was a cool year here in coastal N. California. The "Maxibel" and "Fin de Bagnol" green beans produce some beans. Melons require warmth, and at least 6 hours of full sun, more is better.

Lettuce and Swiss chard do reasonably well in low sunlight situations. Squash will produce with only 5 hours of full sunlight. "Bill Who Putters" has even less sun than myself, and may be able to add to the list of viable, low-sunlight plants.

Reply to
Billy