Broken Tomatoes

The wind, the deer something broke of my tomato plants at about 3 inches off the ground. I left the "stubs" and they seem to be ok, just getting a slow re start. I took the tops of the plants and put them in water. They are developing roots. How long should I let these new roots before I put them back in the ground? Also these "tops" are full of flowers. Will they still turn into tomatoes as they would have if they were not disturbed? Experience? Ideas? Thanks, MJ

Reply to
mjciccarel

I think you can replant those tops any time so long as you can keep them moist. The flowers will probably drop, but more will come. If it happens again you might try splinting them back together. I've had rather good luck with tomato vines knitting back together just like a broken bone repairing itself. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek

Thanks, I can do that. Splinting was not an option, there was no attachment left at all.

Reply to
mjciccarel

I did that once with a branch that broke. I used strips of sheet wound around as the bandage, and I ended up getting tomatoes off that branch.

Priscilla

Reply to
Priscilla H. Ballou

Yes, they can be completely broken off. So long as they are not too wilted and the ends fit back together neatly they will regrow. I expect everyone has been reading about grafted tomatoes, same principle.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek