Six-Pack's Tag said Early Girl, Fruit is Cherry Tomatoes........

When is a cherry tomato not a cherry tomato???

Bought a few Early Girl Tomato plants at the local hardware store, put five of 'em in pots, one in the ground. Plants are doing very well, lots of fruit set. Some of the tomatoes are turning red, but they are the size of larger cherry tomatoes.

I was expecting early girl tomatoes, but two people who have seen my plants, say they are cherry tomatoes, not early girl, while one other person suggested that having the plants in pots, has stunted the size of the fruit, which actually are early girls.

By the way, the plant which is in the ground, is doing the same thing....cherry tomato-sized fruit beginning to turn red.

Anyone else experience this? I'd like to hear your opinions, fer sure! Are they cherry tomatoes, or are they early girls??

Sincerely,

Richard Shelter

Reply to
Richard Shelter

Plant mix ups are not uncommon--cherry tomatoes have somewhat thinner stems than large varieties--you likely were sold cherry plants by mistake.

Reply to
Frankhartx

I have a terrible time keeping up with the varieties of vegetables that I start from seed unless I am very careful. I used to think "I will remember which one that is." Wrong. Think about a retail store with lots of people (including children) looking at plants and taking a marker out to read it all. How many get put in the wrong pots?

Reply to
The Cook

I bet the tags were switched by the same kids who keep putting dishwashing soap in the fountain at the mall.

Reply to
Jack1000

but on the other hand, that can be good too.. that's how I found yellow pear tom's..... a tag mixup. now I plant them every year...

The tags I mean, not the dish-soap! :)

email: daveallyn at bwsys dot net please respond in this NG so others can share your wisdom as well!

Reply to
Dave Allyn

We also had a Yellow Pear last year, and it produced prodigiously - they were about the only tomatoes we got the whole season - which was otherwise a disastrous year for tomatoes here. Plus I had bought the plants, so they went in late and small. I don't need to do that any more, thank goodness.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

Yes, I have one this year. :-)

Will let you know how it is once they start getting ripe. If anything going on out there is an indication, it should bear as well as the Yellow Pear. However, time will tell.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

Reply to
Linda Barsalou

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:02:43 -0400, Linda Barsalou wrote in rec.gardens.edible:

Have you tried Red Robin and/or Yellow Canary? Micro-Tom is the world's smallest tomato.

Have a look at

.

-- Gardening Zones Canada Zone 5a United States Zone 3a Near Ottawa, Ontario

Reply to
Jim Carter

Red Robin is a miniature PLANT, but the tomatoes are not all that unusually small. I'd say that most of them are typical cherry-sized. (I have lots of them growing in 6" pots in my bay window at present.)

IIRC, this is also true of Yellow Canary: miniature PLANT but cherry-sized tomatoes. I've not grown Yellow Canary for some years, but I believe my memory of this is correct.

I haven't grown Micro-Tom, so don't know about it.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:11:59 GMT, Frogleg wrote in rec.gardens.edible:

Everyone might be interested in

wondering about suppliers. They allow you to add your own experiences, good or bad, about suppliers you have dealt with.