Mold on cherry fruit

We have a mature sweet cherry tree (Stella, sold as self-pollinating) that has produced very well for quite a few years. This year we had a warm and very wet spring. We're in zone 5/6, very near lake Erie which moderates the weather. The tree set its usual abundant crop but just as they started to turn, a mold started developing on the fruits, and the whole crop shriveled up. My concern is what I should to to protect the tree now that this has happened. The leaves seem healthy, and I don't find an abnormal amount of insects. Since it is a full sized tree, and my climbing days are over, I have not kept it as pruned as I do my dwarf tree, so I think my fall project will be to do a drastic pruning and try to get more breeze into the tree for next year. Is there anything else I can do for it?

Reply to
William Brown

Sounds like brown rot. Do a web search, and you'll find sites telling you how to deal with it (what and when to spray.) Good luck.

Alan

Reply to
nobody

As far as the climbing thing, get yourself an extension pruner. You can cut branches as high as 12-15 foot reach with one of those, and if it has a saw on the end, you can do some pretty big branches.

Here is a Tree Fruit Pest Problem Solver

On this one, scroll down to cherry and this should help you keep track of future problems, too

I hope they help.

is my site on Square Foot Gardening, but you can find some general gardening and plant info there.

GC Certified Square Foot Gardening Instructor

to be a freelance web designer

Square Foot Gardening

Thanks for the information. The pictures at the web sites confirm that it is brown rot.

As for climbing, this is a very large fruit tree, easily 25 or 30 feet tall, so I'm going to try and remove all the residue of the infection using a ladder.

Reply to
William Brown