fruit trees are going nuts

I have a 25' x 25' back yard since I live in the city and the next house is 18" away on one side. My dwarf peach and apricot trees are so heavily loaded that I am now propping the peach branches up to keep them from ripping off. The Asian pears are also loaded. What is it with this year? Ingrid ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo

Your trees are in dire need of pruning... get to it as soon as winter sets in. Yours is a common mistake people make with dwarf fruit trees especially, they're ascared to prune as they're greedy and want the quantity of fruit they would have gotten with a semi dwarf tree. Your alternative is to plant two more dwarf fruit trees and keep them properly pruned, you have more than enough room. A properly pruned tree will produce fewer fruit but it'll produce larger better quality fruit. Another little trick that commercial orchards utilize is thet when fruit is first set nip off about every other fruit, keep the larger better shapped fruit... many of those small fruit will fall off anyway but meanwhile will steal energy better invested in the choicest fruit. Prune your trees, productive fruit trees are not supposed to look like flowering specimen fruit trees.

Reply to
Brooklyn1