Climbers for shade

I am trying to find a vine/climber that will grow in an area that receives only about 2 or 3 hours of sunlight per day. I have found many that will grow in full or partial sun, but none that will grow where I want to plant them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Freckles

Reply to
Freckles

Feckless, is that you? Humph. Well a professional is a professional, I suppose. Try English Ivy. It won't grow quickly in shadow but it will grow with just a bit of Sun. I'm trying to fill in 40 ft. of chain link fence, underneath oak and bay trees (heaps of shade). It will probably take another couple of years. Sounds like you have more Sun, so it shouldn't take that long.

Reply to
Billy

I have tons of this myself. I planted just a couple sprigs back in a heavily shaded section a few years ago and it is now very dense.

The problem is that this can be quite invasive, the only thing it doesn't seem to like is full sun. I spent a good deal of yesterday chopping it back and pulling it off trees, more of the same today!

And if you like invasive, there's wysteria, which seems to like a few hours of sun.

Jeff

It won't grow quickly in shadow but it will

Reply to
Jeff

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo

If you want English ivy but are concerned about it growing too vigorously, consider Hahn's ivy (Hedera helix 'Hahn's'). It's a dwarf version of English ivy. Of course it will take longer to cover or climb.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Thanks, I have both, fortunately they are bordered on one side by a street and on the other by my garden, where it is duly noted and whacked when it presents a problem (usually once a year).

Reply to
Billy

Hi Freckles, although it depends on how high you want the climber to grow & against what support, how about trying some periwinkle? I've seen this growing a metre and a half high over other shrubs e.g. hawthorne hedge. It's cheap, evergreen and as a bonus has lovely flowers too! Good luck.

Reply to
Liza