soil from the curb

I live on a quiet corner (traffic wise) and the ivy has grown over the curb. It's been a few years since I cleaned this out so there's as a good bit of soil in there, it's pretty light in consistency, dark in color and full of worms. To a gardening novice this seems like good soil, much lighter that what I get out of the bag, or from the bottom of the mulch pile.

What should I do with this? I've got a grape to plant and I'd like to pot up some roses. Would it be suitable for that, or should I amend it?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

If you don't treat it well, it will turn to crap. My suggestion is to prep an area for planting (organic N-P-K, organic matter, plus needs based on local conditions), introduce some worms from your quite corner, and cover with alfalfa (lucerne). As long as you keep it covered with alfalfa (lucerne), you will have worms. Otherwise, the alfalfa will attract worms, so maybe you should just leave a good thing alone. The soil is a product of its (see, I can learn) environment. Change the environment and you will change the soil.

Reply to
Billy

Hi, Jeff. Thanks for the question. I ran into something similar when working on my elderly mother's yard. She has a drainage ditch in concrete bounded by a shallow curb between her house and a neighbor. While mowing and trimming, I found that many leaves from many types of trees had landed there. My nephews and nieces previously did this kind of work. Apparently, they left if all alone for nature to do its work on the leaves. I'd say I'd have to know what's most likely in your stewing mass (soil) at the curbline before I'd say to use it or not. Some trees have natural growth deterrents in their leaves for instance.

Reply to
Dioclese

Nearby trees are dogwood, pine, maple and pine. I potted up the roses in it. I saw the post on aleopathy, is this what you meant?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff