Started Early Tomatoes

So, I started my early tomatoes this weekend. I'm growing Stupice again, and trying a new one, Sophie's Choice, that I got from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange.

My plan is to keep them inside under lights until March, when I'm hoping it will be safe to move them to the cold frame with just a light bulb for warmth on the cold nights. They'll still be in pots, so if we have a late freeze I can being them back inside. By mid to late March I hope to have them in the ground with a Wall O'Water for protection.

With a little bit of cooperation from nature, I'm hoping for ripe tomatoes by May. The earliest I've ever managed to get a ripe tomato is the first week of May, and that was a year with a warm spring. I'm hoping the Wall O'Water will help if this spring is cool.

I've also got lettuce sprouting in several containers, which will be moved out to the cold frame as soon as it's a little bigger. The dill and cilantro are next.

I am *so* ready for spring.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle