Strawberry blossoms

Planted some strawberries and the first blossoms have appeared. I read somewhere that one should pick off the blossoms because it encourages the plants to send out shooters. If I pick off the blossoms, that means I won't have any strawberries this year. Right? Will the plants spread if I don't pick the blossoms? Or do you think I should just pick some of the blossoms and not all? I really want to pick some berries this year. Any advice?

Reply to
Hud

Depends on the variety. If they're everbearing, you can pick the blossoms until the end of June then let them go. I put in Tristar Everbearing strawberries last year and did just that and had more strawberries from a 16' bed than I could eat.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.

Reply to
cloud dreamer

I never picked the blossoms and the strawberries send out PLENTY of runners!

Reply to
Omelet

Now that's what I wanted to hear! Thanks, Om.

Reply to
Hud

:-)

Reply to