Ripe Tomatoes by July 4th, Almost...

Missed my goal by a couple of days this year, but still the week of July

4th. Sausalito won the race this year. I did pick a couple of big green ones for my wife to fry up for herself. Not the biggest of course!

Lots of green ones and blooms so this year looks good, not like last year.

John! in NE GA US

Reply to
GA Pinhead

You should always state what part of the world or state you are in. For instance i live in Canada and no way can we have red tomatoes that early.

-----=============================================================================

Reply to
Andy Petro

I'm in the Chicagoland area, and I don't even have buds yet. I planted shortly after March 15.

We've had almost zero rain. I've watered every day for roughly 1/2 hour with a "seeping" hose.

GK

Andy Petro wrote:

-----=============================================================================

Reply to
GK

Uhhhh, Andy.........John said Northeast Georgia USA, or do you want something a little more specific :-)

For the record, I just picked my first one today, Early Girl.

Keith in Extreme NE Georgia. To be exact Blairsville, GA USA. For perspective we are 19 miles from North Carolina, 23 miles from Tennessee and

36 miles from South Carolina.

Reply to
Keith Warren

Poughkeepsie NY here (about 1/2 way between NYC and Albany). I've got tons of green ones but no color yet.

Reply to
Steve Calvin

Yes way, we can.

I live in Toronto and I had my first ripe tomato on July 7( two days ago). I started them from seed too.(in mid March , I believe. Normal time). And this one isn't even advertised as being an early tomato( Bloody Butcher, heritage variety). There is another one ready to be picked tomorrow. I have also started picking the currant tomatoes( 2 so far). The weather has been disgustingly hot but the tomatoes are loving it.

Sally

-----=============================================================================

Reply to
Sallyrat&Sweetie

Hey Sally,

You're lucky then. I'm in Calgary and just got one tomato starting this week. I also started from seed in March. We had so much rain here my plants which are usually a few feet high by now are barely a foot and a half. I have a little green house which is the only reason I have the tomato I do. The weather here has not been conducive to growing anything but weeds and asperagus (which I've been eating for awhile) So are your tomato plants inside/outside, using anything special on them, anything you can help us less fortunate growers that are going to have to wait until Sept to enjoy our first ripe one?

-----=============================================================================

Reply to
mondo colnago

I will be picking my first tomato (SunSugar) maybe today, and there is color showing on the '4th of July' plant. Planted out last week of May, started indoors second week of April. Held indoors far longer than I would have liked due to miserable May weather, so they got a bit spindly but they are extremely robust now, with lots of green tomatoes.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

I'm in North East Arkansas and I am geting little Jelly Bean tomatoe that are ripe. THe big ones aren't yet but there are lots of gree ones. I have neighbors that have tons of ripe big tomatoes. But I kno mine are coming

-- Maryc

Reply to
Maryc

Northeast Georgia United States.

I thought I did, sorry if I was not clear enough...

John!

Andy Petro wrote:

-----=============================================================================

Reply to
GA Pinhead

Hey Neighbor! You must be on the south side of the mountain. I used to go up to the Experiment St all the time doing their computer work. Beautiful area to be sure.

John!

Keith Warren wrote:

Reply to
GA Pinhead

NE Kansas here, picked our first Jetstar on the 5th, picked 20lbs the

9th, (got lots of plants). Planted May 7th.

Reply to
Doug

San Joaquin Valley, CA. Planted (not from seed) in early April. I've been eating Sweet 100s ("cherry" tomatoes) for a couple weeks. Ate two regular sized ones (Better Boy?) last night. Sue

Reply to
Sue

No buds yet? What varities? It sounds like you are watering way to much. I water once a week and make sure the plants get at least 1 inch of water/week. I also mulched heavily. They are well established, so I skipped this weekend watering, they should be fine. And you aren't fertilizing, correct? Low feeders so too much and you get all green, no tomatoes.

I'm in a SW Chicago Burb (actually have Chicago bordering to the East, North and South) and so far have picked one Azoychka (smallish yellow beefsteak tomatoes) with two more ripening and have three early girls a dark orange. Two Early Goliath plants I gave away have resulted in one ripe tomato and one dark orange. The Early Golitah I have isn't showing signs yet. The Delicious (late beefteak) is doing OK, a few other plants I gave away have have anywhere from a few little ones finally starting to show to about 10 or so mid size tomatoes. Burgess Stuffing (first time trying) has a bunch, nothing close to ripening (unless they are small stuffing tomatoes?).

BTW the last 4 - 5 years I've been starting the tomatoes outside in a cheap-o cold frame. The nice thing is, no hardening off come planting time, just dig up and transplant :0)

Oh yeah - despite having a very cool spring (summer more than making up for it) I put a teeny Delicious plant outside & unprotected on March

18th to see how cold it could get before frost wiped it out. The darn thing surivived!
Reply to
ozzy.kopec

I have very vigorous plants and not many tomatoes. One of my plants is really small but has lots of tomatoes. Could you rewrite that last sentence so I can understand it? I assume you're suggesting fertilizer of some sort. Sue

Reply to
Sue

I've got a few small tomatoes going, but nothing ready to turn red. The plants I started from seed aren't nearly as tall as those from store-bought plants.

The tomatoes I started in a bucket are doing ok, there's one fruit, but many more blossoms. They weren't doing so well until a week ago when I trimmed several of the weak-looking branches off. Now they're doing much better. :-)

Reply to
Puckdropper

I live in Albany, NY. I picked my first smallish red tomato, June

10th. Beat last years first tomato by 10 days. Since about the 25th of June, I have been picking about 1 pound/day. The variety I am picking is called "subartic". I have raised beds on the back of my house facing south. I started them March 1 and then put them outdoors in a coldframe on April 15th. I am also picking the same variety from open field plants I also put out April 15th using Wall o Water. I should mention that I am using black IRT plastic mulch throughout. Richard

Reply to
Richard

I have been picking tomatoes for over a week. I got my first full sized tomatoes on July 6. I have already picked at least 18 pounds.

Susan In the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina

Reply to
The Cook

Low feeders so too much and you get all green,

========== Sorry - I meant tomato plants really don't need much fertilizer. Some people equate big plants = heavy fertilization(wd?). Too much nitrogen and you get massive plants and few tomatoes. So far I just fertilized at planting time (late May). Compost should feed the plants the remainder of the year.

Reply to
ozzy.kopec

Thanks. All I did was to put these little commercial tomato stakes in. I have no idea what was in them, but I seem to be getting less blossom drop (a *big* problem) and, therefore, more tomatoes since doing it. Sue

Reply to
Sue