"Celebate" Habeneros?

About three years ago my wife purchased what was labeled a "chocolate Habenero" chile plant for me. I planted it in a kitchen bed along with some yellow and red Thai peppers and a couple of serranos. All of the plants grew well in that wet year, topping out at about 5 feet high in the case of the That pepper and (curiously because they are usually bushy) the Habenero.

The Thai and serranos provided a load of fresh chiles. The Habenero may have had 1-4 blooms, but never set fruit.

The winter was mild and all of the chilies carried over, giving me a bounty of early fresh chiles last year. Long about late Sept, I finally found one (1) fruit on the chocolate Habenero. Later another fruit set. I let them ripen and collected the seed.

Last winter all of those chlies died in the cold. I planted the chocolate hab seeds and have a couple of plants. This year the chocolate hab is out with the rest of the chiles in the garden. Two feet on either side are standard hab blooming and setting fruit like crazy. The chocolate hab is 12 inches taller than the other habs, but is still playing 'celibate'.

Has anyone had a similare experience with these or have any suggestions how to get them to bloom? Note, they are not blooming rather than dropping blooms and not setting fruit.

Thanks for any insight. I'll also try reposting this in edible and on the garden web chile group.

rgds

Reply to
B.Server

There are several cultivars of Chocolate Habarero, Most of them require a long growing season.

Reply to
farmerdill

Well, this one has about another 4 months and I give up. As noted, the parent plant was actually in the ground for about 18 months and produced two (2) fruit while growing beside other Thai and Hab chilies that bore heavily.

Reply to
B.Server