Rehabilitating my raspberry bushes

Hi everyone,

I am new to this group and pretty much new to doing anything in the garden. Last year I got new siding put on my house and as a result, my raspberry bushes got trampled on, snapped and pretty much destroyed.

I'm hoping they will come back this summer. I am already seeing new branches sprout with leaves on them. I spoke with a neighbor of mine who does a lot of gardening and what she told me was promising. She basically said to pull out the dead branches, and clear the ground of any remaining debris with a rake.

I began pulling out the dead branches today, however I am not exactly sure what constitutes a dead branch. Some branches are extremely dry and brittle and pull out easily.These have a grayish color to them. I assume it is safe to pull those out. The other things I am seeing are what I am confused about. There are branches that aren't as brittle as the others. These have a light brown color to them, similar to the color of the new ones that are coming up. These still appear to be rooted in the ground, however there are no leaves or buds growing on them. They are also (like the grayish ones) laying pretty close to the ground. What do I do with these? Is it safe to pull them out or will they eventually start budding again?

Thanks

Reply to
DoThatPlan

Hi All, Scrape the bark off the brown branches, if it is green under the bark and looks alive, which I suspect it will then leave well alone. If you are in doubt leave them anyway, as you can allways remove them later. hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

Reply to
R M. Watkin