red bell peppers?

Hi All,
My wife loves red bell peppers. So, I am thinking of growing them next season.
Now I know that what grows commercially is not always the easiest thing to grow in a garden, so I was wondering what you guys thought would grow the best in a garden.
I am in zone 6B.
-T
On 12/12/2016 03:27 PM, T wrote:

By that I mean types of red bell peppers that grow best in a home garden
T wrote: ...

they seem to respond well to good soil.
i don't grow any other kind of peppers now i love roasted red peppers so much. :)
i have no idea what the variety is for most of what i grow other than i know they are not Red Knight. we had some Red Knight's sneak into our tray of plants last year and they seemed to do ok, but the ones we normally grow get pretty big.
next time i stop at the greenhouse i'll have to remember to ask.
songbird
On 12/12/2016 06:20 PM, songbird wrote:

Hi Songbird,
Thank you!
I am just grateful that anything grows at all!
The little berms you had make to keep my onions beds from filling with water worked marvelously. It has been raining off and on over the last few days. I got to see where the water was actually coming from. It is coming from my roof and draining straight towards my onions beds. So I have two things to thank you for.
-T
T wrote: ...

you're welcome. :)

life can be pretty tenacious given a chance. :)
we have a foot of wet snow, nothing much is growing now. will be down in the single digits and below zero F this week. a bit early for such weather, but at least we have a blanket of insulation for protection now.

yes, always important to know your water/nutrient flows, especially in an arid climate.
it doesn't remain soggy for long periods does it? you don't want bulbs/roots in standing water for too much time.
if you have to, put a few smaller berms up from the onion beds to catch some of that water and soak it in. it is always better to soak it in instead of letting it run off, if you have the space. :) water in the ground doesn't evaporate like a pond will.
a rain barrel on the downspouts is very useful too.
i didn't even get a chance to see if the garlic was up yet before the garden was closed up for the winter.
songbird
On 12/13/2016 06:07 AM, songbird wrote:

It was only soggy when I was prepping and de-rocking the bed. It dried out and got berm-ed before I planted. It is now "moist" not "sodden", as you told me to do.

My garlic is all grown up and doing well. It seems to like he snow and cold. The onions never sprouted. I may have to wait till spring.
T wrote: ...

they'll still be putting roots down until then if there is moisture.
we have spring flowers which will begin growing for spring in the previous summer and fall. they put up shoots which get close to breaking the surface of the soil just waiting for warmer weather. it is hard to believe that they will stay that way for months at a time without rotting or changing much at all even when frozen and rethawed many times.
songbird