I tried the soy sauce and veg. oil trap a couple days ago, to try and
reduce the damage to my poor bush beans. The next morning, I had about
a half-dozen earwigs and a couple of big slugs in both traps and have
been catching more ever since. So that method gets a ringing
I had a terrible earwig problem in my organic garden, too. I tried the
rolled-up newspapers, diatomaceous earth, etc. and nothing worked (I
didn't try the floating row cover). I've been using yogurt container
traps and they work great! I now use watered-down beer instead of oil,
just because it's easier to dispose of (I just pour it out on the
ground). Here's what I do:
1. Dig a hole large enough to set the yogurt container flush with the
ground. I put one-two traps per row, depending on how bad the basil was
being eaten, usually somewhere in the middle of the row.
2. Fill it halfway with cheap beer, then fill to about 1/4 inch below
the rim with water. The water is just to save money - you could use
beer only. I use the cheapest beer I can find.
3. Empty, rinse and refill the traps every three to seven days. If it's
been hot, I replace them more often because the beer evaporates
quicker. I caught a bunch of earwigs the first couple weeks, and now
the problem is under control enough that I've removed about half the
traps. You might catch some slugs, too, but that's not a bad thing.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.