Re: Tomato problems: potato leaf vs, regular leaf (cut leaf?)

When last we left our heros, on Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:15:54 -0800,

> snipped-for-privacy@xyz.net (Jan Flora) scribbled: > >>The older potato leaf varieties probably don't have the disease resistance >>that the new hybrids do. > >Hogwash! > > >I really wonder sometimes, exactly where do people think >the resistance that is bred into hybrids came from? > >Pam

Colour me foolish... laboritories? I dunno; tinkering too much? Human curiousity run amuck?

jcm

Toronto, Canada Canadian zone 5b, U.S. zone is apparently 4b

I'm just trying to find my way amongst the forest of diverse information. Thanks to global warming it's bloody hot here!

Reply to
Joanne

Potato leaf plants have a thicker epidermis than regular leaf so theory is they're more disease resistant/durable. Also, heirlooms have withstood the test of time, their disappearance in the past was not like the dinosaurs but because of modern breeding for durable fruits to ship to market.

As for TMV, less than 1% of the current tobacco has the disease.

Mark

Reply to
news.verizon.net

Reply to