rasberries question

the rasberries normally that grow in my garden have always been, for lack of a better phrase, perfect.. They have been soft to the touch when picked and tasted as a rasberry should taste. For some reason for the last week or so they have started to become crumbly. When I try to pick them, some of the rasberries basically crumble into crumbs. I realize crumbs is probably not the best term, but I hope that you understand what I am trying to say. They even feel a little on the dry side (the ones that crumble apart). Not all of them are that way, and the ground is plenty wet. Any ideas of what might cause this. Or if this is a bad group or if there is a better group to ask this, please point me in the correct direction. Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Virus infections can cause crumbly fruit, but I've always noticed that toward the end of the summer crop there is a tendency for the berries to be small and break apart. I've put it down to poor pollination. As the fresh flowers dwindle, the bees are less interested. If all the berries on a particular plant are affected right from the beginning of the season, you might be justified in worrying about virus infection.

Info on raspberry viruses:

Pat Kiewicz