Question for Group

Is it ok to post eBay auctions in this newsgroup? I have past issues of gardening (OG, National Gardening and such) magazines that my father had in his basement that I need to liquidate. Thanks in advance.

John

Reply to
John Pascarella

NO.

You can post your ads ONLY to newsgroups clearly marked commercial. That is, groups named something.something.forsale, .marketplace or similar. ALL other newsgroups are NON-commercial. Including this one.

Henriette

Reply to
Henriette Kress

Is my face red. I have taken to using that address in my postings to another newsgroup I frequent because I was getting all kinds of spam. I forgot that I had it listed as my email address. Please notice that I have listed my proper address. Sorry in advance for the mix-up. I do not wish to be mistaken for a spammer.

John snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com

Reply to
John Pascarella

It's not OK.

Suppose every person auctioning gardening-related stuff on Ebay posted their auctions here? The newsgroup would die under the weight of the advertisements. AFAIK, this is a non-commercial newsgroup and doesn't allow advertising.

But you can have a reference to them as a .sig (signature) file - that's accepted on newsgroups. When you participate in conversations here, people will see the .sig file.

It would be best to refer to a web page that you put up - and that page in turn can list all your auctions.

.Sig files should be preceded by two dashes and a space (as the first characters in a line) and really shouldn't take up more than four lines although a line or two more probably wouldn't stir up much ire.

(See my .sig file as an example.)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

I'm mostly a lurker, but although posting e-Bay or commercial ads is taboo, I don't see anything wrong with posts for free stuff. On rec.food.cooking, people will sometimes post about cookbooks they are willing to give away--taker only has to pay for postage. If the choice is between burning/throwing away the magazines and giving them away, why not give them away?

rona

Reply to
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

It would appear that there is no central FAQ for the group.

Philip

Reply to
Philip

All I am asking about is posting a link to my sellers page on eBay. In the rec.collecting.coins newsgroup, this sort of posting is very common and does not cause any problems. The posting is listed as...FA coin for sale on ebay...if someone is interested they look. If not, they pass it by just like any other posting. Thanks again

Reply to
pascarj

Not here.

Henriette

Reply to
Henriette Kress

Put it in your .sig file - no problems then.

If you don't know how to make a .sig file that pops up automatically at the end of each message you send (using whatever news program you use), you can type it manually.

Just remember to start the first line with two dashes, followed by a space.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

While your particular situation doesn't sound abusive to me, the charter for rec.gardens.edible specifically forbids advertising, which means anyone who does advertise something is likely to get the netcops complaining to their ISP.

Advertising Policy:

Following standard Usenet guidelines, the newsgroup is not intended to be used for commercial advertising, solicitation, or marketing of products or services. Commercial unsolicited announcements WILL NOT be welcome. Discussions of commercial products will be allowed in a user context. In other words, if someone asks about a product someone may answer them. These discussions must be directly relevant to the newsgroup.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Yeah, I've been wondering about that. CErtainly it is time to write one.

  1. What's that powdery substance on my squash/pumpkins/zucchinis
  2. Birds are eating my peppers/tomatoes
  3. What are some good organic fertilizers
  4. How do I get rid of nusaince creatures
&c &c &c

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McMichael

Thanks for posting that.

Philip

Reply to
Philip

Sounds good to me, I'd be happy to proof-read at any time, and let you know of any additions that occurred to me as well.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows