Over-wintering Hot Peppers

Last Fall, there was a post on this group about digging up hot pepper plants for replanting in the Spring. I mentioned this to my wife, who plants a variety of hot peppers every year. She thought it would be an interesting experiment so she dug up three habenero plants and two serrano plants after they died back. These were kept in the laundry room all Winter, where it's a few degrees cooler than the rest of the house. As planting season approached, they were put under the grow lights and watered regularly.

Of the three habenero, two survived. They were dormant all Winter. They sent out new sprouts through the soil from the roots but nothing came from the old stems from last year. They're doing very well.

Both of the serrano survived. They put out a few small leaves from the original stems early in the Winter but those didn't grow much at all until Spring.

All four surviving plants are out in the cold frame at the moment and will be replanted in the pepper bed before too long. If they do anything out of the ordinary this year, I'll post it here.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Theoretically all chillies are perrenials; if you can protect them from frost! See if you can get some 'mazano' chilli seeds. They are the most cold tolerant.(and as hot as habaneros!) Michael Bailes

Reply to
michaelangelica

Put a plant in a large pot and place it in the living area of your home. It will bear peppers everly few months and will live for more than one year.

Reply to
Allan Matthews

Michaelangel is right, theoretically they're perenials. My climate is mild enough that I've had peppers survive the winter and produce another crop the next year. But they don't seem to do so hot after the second year and I wind up replacing them. Has anyone kept theirs over for three years or more?

Reply to
AngelCityArt

Yes, I have a serranno going on to its twelfth year.

Reply to
Jon Shemitz

On 27 Apr 2006 02:09:31 -0700, in rec.gardens.edible "AngelCityArt" , in glistered weave writ large for all to see:

I am in lower zone 7? How about you? (I know this is an old message)

FACE

Reply to
FACE