Re: Bulgarian Carrot Hot Pepper

My favorite, fruity, not too hot pepper is the Datil pepper. These are grown commercially in St. Augustine, FL. My husband and I travel there from Atlanta every year just to buy the plants. You can buy the plants online also (try The Chili Woman), but they tend to run out of them quickly. I grow them in pots and take them in over the winter. I get at least two seasons out of each plant.

with it? Actually, what I'm hoping to find is a hot pepper that has a > berry-like fruitiness to it, but without the high heat.
Reply to
lesliemm

I did some googling and read that the Datil, at 300,000 Scoville's, is comparable to a Habanero. You must have found a milder strain!

Reply to
Ken Anderson

Don't believe everything you read, LOL. The datils are also available in a sweet variety. I have tried these also and find them too mild. Trust me the original datils are closer in heat to a hot Serrano, not a Hab. Leslie in Atlanta

Reply to
lesliemm

Well thanks. I bought Datil seeds off of Ebay. They're in the mail. I'm growing five diiferent peppers this year. Seems I always get caught up in the variety thing at seed starting time. : ) Ken

Reply to
Ken Anderson

In our last fun filled episode, Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:50:31 -0400, "Ken Anderson" proclaimed:

Five different varieties?

Piker.

Penelope, grower of over twenty varieties this year.

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Well, with a 25 by 30 garden, I have to be frugal! Wish it would warm up here in the midwest. Been an awful cold past few weeks. Further out back, I have second year Cabernet, Chardonnay, and Reisling grafted vines which I can't WAIT to see life in.

Reply to
Ken Anderson