hot pepper cracks

Each year my hot peppers grow and look great until they begin to ripen, turning what ever color it is that they turn. Then the get these crack lines on the exterior. They still taste great just don't look great. What causes these cracks?

Reply to
higgledy

Jalapenos? They normally crack a bit when they mature.

Otherwise, all I could suggest would be to be careful with water. Aim for consistant moisture: don't let the plants get very dry and then flood them with water.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Go here:

down to the bottom, there is a picture of ripening jalapenos with corking. Is that what you're seeing? If it is, it's normal in some peppers. Some sites claim that corking is desirable in Mexico, where the jalapeno originated, but no so desirable to more appearance conscience Americans.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

"higgledy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I think it's due to inconsistant watering. If the peppers don't get a lot of water then the skins will harden. If you suddenly flood them with water the fruits will expand and the skin will crack.

Reply to
Deuteros

On 04 Jun 2006 14:22:15 GMT, in rec.gardens.edible Deuteros , in glistered weave writ large for all to see:

One begins to wonder how vegetables and stuff ever grew in the wild. :-) (Yes, I know it is all about cosmetic appearance.)

FACE

Reply to
FACE

From what I/ve read, cracking or corking is a normal and it indicates the pepper is ripe.

Reply to
TQ

Thanks for the responses. It cannot be caused by dry preiods followed by a good watering because these pepper plants have never been left not watered. It has to be normal.

Reply to
Higgledy

FACE wrote on [Sun, 04 Jun 2006 10:42:45 -0400]:

DID these varieties ever grow in the wild?

Reply to
Justin

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 21:55:47 -0500, in rec.gardens.edible Justin , in glistered weave writ large for all to see:

I seriously doubt that what grew in the wild had a whole lot of resemblance to what we grow (or buy) today -- anymore than the wild forbears of a guernsey milk cow has the same certain physical attributes.

FACE

Reply to
FACE

Some varieties of hot chile are pretty close to wild - as I understand it, the pequins are pretty close to the root stock, more-or-less undomesticated "bird chiles" that have been adopted in recent decades by varietal fanciers.

Reply to
Jon Shemitz