OT Salsa

I want like to can a few pints of salsa, I like it spicy hot.

Does anyone have one or several recipes they would share?

-- Sam Along the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach SC

Reply to
samuel l crowe

I make this every year. I call it "tomato stuff". It can be used wherever tomatoes are needed. Start with super ripe almost rotten tomatoes. I use a blend of Brandywine, Celebrity, Polish Oxheart and Roma Paste. Scald tomatoes in a large canning pot and remove skins. Cut up if necessary and stew over low heat until desires consistency is reached. DO NOT BURN. Add salt to taste and any type of flavoring. I add chopped onions, red and green peppers... whatever. Read the ingredients on a jar of commercial tomato stuff. Process in a hot water bath for at least 1 hour. Do this correctly or you could die. Check the jar seals. Add a sprig of fresh oregano to a jar before processing. For salsa, I would open a jar and add whatever I wanted and dip away!

Farmer John

"samuel l crowe" wrote in message news:be673t$fups$ snipped-for-privacy@news3.infoave.net...

Reply to
Fudge

I made this last year and it was very good. I used all jalapenos and serranos. I also have a recipe that has to be pressure canned that I can post if you want it.

Chile Salsa (Hot Tomato-Pepper Sauce) From

cups peeled, cored, chopped tomatoes

6 cups seeded, chopped chili peppers* 4 cups chopped onions 1 cup vinegar 3 teaspoons salt 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Combine ingredients in a large saucepan. Heat to a boil and simmer 10 minutes. Ladle hot into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner: 15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude, 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet; 25 minutes above 6,000 feet. Yield: 6 to 8 pints *Use mixture of mild and hot peppers.

IMPORTANT: The only changes you can safely make in these salsa recipes are to substitute bottled lemon juice for vinegar and to change the amount of spices and herbs. Do not alter the proportions of vegetables to acid and tomatoes because it might make the salsa unsafe.

Reply to
zxcvbob

thanks to all who responded to my question about salsa, In will try them all!!!

Reply to
samuel l crowe

Speaking of salsa, last year at an organic store I tasted a delightful salsa made basically with Yellos hots and fresh pineapple. The contrast was out of this world. Unfortunately there was nobody available that could tell me everything that was in it but chili and pineapple were the 2 primary ingredients, maybe the only two.

As for regular salsa, we cut up tomatos, onion, celery, sometime carrots, green chili (anaheim) and/or yellow hots, garlic, salt & pepper and run it thru the blender to a very course consistancy. Break out the tortilla chips, I'm on my way!!!

Reply to
John DeBoo

When last we left our heros, on Sat, 05 Jul 2003 19:30:29 -0600, John DeBoo scribbled:

Found these with a quick Google search on Salsa + Pineapple.

PINEAPPLE-GINGER SALSA

Ingredients: 150 g / 1/4 fresh pinapple, diced

1 small mango, diced 1 large tomato, diced 1/2 red bell pepper, diced 4-5 scallions, thinly sliced 3/4 dl spicy sweet & sour ginger glaze 1/2 dl fresh cilantro eller mint, finely chopped seasalt

Pineapple Salsa #1

-------- ------------ -------------------------------- 1/2 Med Pineapple -- 1/2 dice 1 Sm Red Bell Pepper -- 1/2 dice 3 Med Green Onions -- Minced 1 serrano Pepper -- Minced 1 Ginger Root Slice -- 1/2-in minced 1 Tbsp lime Juice 1/8 Tsp Salt

Pinapple Salsa #2

1 1/2 C Fresh Pineapple -- diced 1/4 C Red Bell Pepper -- minced 1/4 C Green Bell Pepper -- minced 1/4 C Red Onion -- minced 1/4 C Fresh cilantro -- minced 1 Tbsp Fresh lime Juice 2 1/2 Tsp jalapeno -- seeded and minced 1/4 Tsp lime Peel -- grated and minced

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt.

Pineapple salsa #3

2 cups pineapple, fresh -- chopped fine 1 cup tomato -- seeded and diced 1/2 cup cucumber -- peeled, seeded, dice 1/4 cup shallot -- chopped fine 3 tablespoons cilantro, fresh -- chopped fine 1 tablespoon jalapeno -- chopped fine 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil 1/8 teaspoon salt 1 clove garlic -- minced

Pineapple Salsa #4

Diced fresh pineapple (1/3 of the whole thing) diced mango diced avocado finely minced chile, seeded with ribs removed lime juice

1 tbsp honey 1 or 2 tsp olive oil minced fresh mint leaves.

Pineapple Salsa 6

Yield: 8 Servings

1 c Finely chopped fresh pineapple 2 tb Orange marmalade 1 tb Chopped fresh cilantro 2 ts Chopped fresh jalapeno pepper 2 ts Diced pimento 1 1/2 ts lime juice 1/4 ts Salt Combine all ingredients; mix well. Cover and refrigerate until serving time. Makes 1 cup.

Do you cook the carrots?

And what do you mean by yellow hots? Hungarian Wax?

Pam, looking for a good mango/hanbanero glaze for grilling.

Reply to
Pam Rudd

Yes, zxcvbob I wish you would post the recipe for the pressure canned salsa. I pressure can everything I can. except jellies. About 500 total.

-- Sam Along the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach SC

Reply to
samuel l crowe

Here ya go. You might want to add a little vinegar or lemon juice if the onions are too sweet:

Bob's Texican Picante Sauce

8 qt. cored, peeled, chopped tomatoes 2 cups chopped jalapeno peppers 1 cup chopped onion 1/2 cup chopped seranno peppers 4 tsp salt 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (optional)

You can substitute any kind of green peppers for the jalapeno and seranno to make the sauce more or less hot. You can even substitute chopped celery or grated carrots or more onion for part of the peppers. But do not exceed 3 1/2 cups total low-acid vegetables.

Combine all ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring to prevent scorching. Use the can of commercial tomato sauce if your tomatoes are overly juicy; it is not necessary if you use paste tomatoes like Roma, San Marzano, Viva Italia, etc. Adjust seasonings to taste (you can add vinegar, lemon or lime juice, more salt, chili powder, sugar (yuck), "lemon pepper", etc. Do not increase the amount of peppers or onions.

Ladle into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Adjust caps; process at 10 or 11 pounds pressure 15 minutes for pints or 20 minutes for quarts. Yields about 7 quarts.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

thanks Bob I will try it.

Reply to
samuel l crowe

Snipped>

Nope, we grate them in, kinda course, something like you'd use is a cole slaw. They are a filler really but add some nice crunch to the salsa.

What be Hungarian wax, something for leg hair removal??? Or for perking up melons?

Yellow hots are just like Jalapeños in size (3" long & 1" thick) but pale yellow in color. They are excellent when eaten raw with a sandwich or raw and cut up in a salsa. I've never heard of anyone roasting them as we do the Anaheim variety green chili. The following link has some chilis but those that they are calling 'yellow hots' are red in the pic. I've yet to see a red one of this variety anyplace in NM.

John DeBoo