Re: Strawberries - which variety?

I put in 25 ea. strawberry plants bare-root, Ft. Laramie and

> Quinault, and they all did well. > > Problem is that I mixed up the labels, so don't know which is which. > (my bad!) > > One variety produces HUGE fruits and many runners. > > The other variety produces smaller fruits and few runners.

From the Sunset Western Garden Book (1996) (p. 495), under the "Strawberry" heading:

"'Fort Laramie' Everbearing. Good yield of large, bright red berries over long season. Excellent flavor.

"'Quinault. Everbearing. Fruit is large, attractive, tasty, rather soft. Good producer of runners."

From this, it sounds as if the plant with the "many runners" is the Quinault, and the other one is the Fort Laramie.

-- dkra

Reply to
dkra

Damn! I've *got* the WGB, recent edition. Sometimes one doesn't think of the obvious. Much obliged!

Thank-you shipment of berries on the way

Reply to
Persephone

Thank _you_ -- you've inspired me to plant a few Fort Laramie plants; I found their description so intriguing. Looking forward to tasty fruit!

-- dkra

Reply to
dkra