Keeping strawberries fresh longer?

Strawberries for some reason only last perhaps 4 days max in the refrigerator. Sometimes its 2 days, if you didn't get very fresh ones to begin with. Then they start growing a whitish mold. What is it, and can you do something (other than freezing) to prevent the growth of this mold?

Keep them dry, more air circulation around them. Wash them just before eating.
geronimo wrote:

Strawberries are extremely susceptible to mold which is really evident in the home garden if you've ever tried to grow them.
In California they (do or used to) tent the entire field before planting and pump in a gas to kill all the mold spores. This helped to keep the berries mold-free while they were growing, but as soon s they are picked the mold process begins. It also makes anyone who gets exposed to it quite sick, if not worse.
I think part of the problem at least is that when they are moved from place to place at slightly different temperatures (field, packing house, refrigerated truck, store cooler, store sales area) the inside of the carton develops condensation which provides a good place for mold growth.
You might get a few more days from them if you wash, slice, and sugar them lightly. Or spread them out on paper towels or napkins to absorb some of the condensation.
Otherwise, buy only what you and your family can eat in 2-3 days and carefully pick out any that might be showing mold.
gloria p

Having been through enough spoiled strawberries, I also do as Gloria suggests; slice 'em up pronto. But I put on lemon juice from my tree, and sweeten with maple syrup. Makes delicious juice.
In the fwiw department; Strawberries stored in the refrigerator unwashed inside a vacuumed container such as "FoodSaver" will (often) last for several days. Ken.
wrote:

Having been through enough spoiled strawberries, I also do as Gloria suggests; slice 'em up pronto. But I put on lemon juice from my tree, and sweeten with maple syrup. Makes delicious juice.

I can't imagine maple being a good flavor combo with lemon, or strawberry... I think honey would be a much better choice, but even honey doesn't work well with strawberry.... light brown sugar, maybe. I think plain white sugar works best to let the strawberry flavor shine through, those other powerful flavors would smother it. Fresh lemon juice and white sugar with a splash of cointreau would probably work best for macerating strawberries.

That method requires enough time and labor to make berry eating a chore rather than a pleasure. I found that the shelf life of delicate fruit can be extended by the addition of citrus, fresh lemon juice works well. Or use some Cointreau or some good Balsamico Traditionale. The best way to ensure that strawberries don't hang around long enough to spoil is to mix up a big batch of whipped cream, and/or melt a big bowlful of good chocolate.
I grew up helping run a pick your own strawberry farm. As someone who also just lost almost an ENTIRE batch of store bought berries to mold, I'm also interested in this.
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned what is probably the most efficient way to have your berries last longer - grow your own. The main reason why strawberries from the store mold so fast is that they have already been off of the plant for some time - perhaps 2 or even 3 days - before you buy them. Strawberries are not known for lasting that long in storage anyway, so by the time you have them in the fridge for 2 days, they could be 5 days old already. Pick your own fresh fruits, and they will probably last twice as long or more, and also be tastier - since they will be more ripe when picked.
You said you don't want to consider freezing. Have you considered drying them? I have cut up strawberries, plus made fruit leather with a convection oven. It is very tasty, and lasts for years. You could also can the fruit.
If you want store bought for fresh eating, then I second the idea presented earlier about cutting them up, and sloshing around some of that lemon juice concentrate on the pieces, or even mashing them a bit and adding lemon juice. The acidity will inhibit mold growth, and then you can add a bit of sugar if you want when eating them.
Of course, canning is also an option, but they tend to lose some texture from the high heat involved. Freezing is often a good option.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/26/dining/26curi.html?ref=dining try this

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago
geronimo wrote:

If you get your strawberries from Aldi in Australia they seemed to be genetically or something modified to stay as hard as a rock for weeks even after they start to go off