lima beans in heavy soil

just reading an older book and it recommends planting two seeds per hole in heavy soil so that one sprout can help make way for the other.

since i know of at least one other person here who likes growing lima beans in heavy soil i though i'd pass along that tidbit. :)

here we don't seem to have the problem mentioned that the beans can't break through the soil. perhaps i plant them a bit more shallow or the extra sand and organic matter i keep adding to the gardens is doing it's job...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

That's a new trick for me. Previously the only way I could get them to come up was to cover the seeds with creek sand.

Reply to
Steve Peek

Steve Peek wrote: ...

i would probably change the method to make it some cheap and hardy pea as the additional seed source so they could be clearly told apart.

this year almost every lima bean planted came up just fine, but the end of the season finish has been rather poor. most of the late ones that i was able to harvest in previous years have been rotten this year.

that's about the same for the greasy beans too. most i could harvest last year but not this year.

songbird

Reply to
songbird