oh i've missed this

planting...

put in the garlic today and that meant doing some digging. i'll know later or tomorrow if my hand was able to take it, but so far it isn't complaining.

not the best place to put garlic, but that garden spot will have to do. it is the next rotation. i'm planting about half the garlic i planted last year, we are not going to grow tomatoes next year and so i won't need a lot of garlic for salsa. 60 bulbs should be plenty.

this was the first time i had broken up some of the larger bulbs so i could see how the clove sizes were. pretty nice crop. tomorrow i'm going to be doing some cooking i'll be getting into those cloves. watch out vampires...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

My garlic has been in the ground about 3 weeks , I have around a hundred plants up now . Average first frost is a couple of weeks from now ... but could happen tomorrow night . I'm eager , this is the first time I've grown garlic . My hands and shoulders are achy today , but that's from swinging a

9 pound splitting maul ... over 3 cords and still cuttin' .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Terry Coombs wrote: ...

i've planted garlic in August and it's done fine here, but it is a garlic that has been in this area for at least 80 years. this is a little late for me but i wanted to give my hand as long as possible a chance to heal up since my last reinjury before testing it again. a little sore today, but nothing too bad.

at least now i have gotten most of the random garlic from the many places i had it around the property before. it was going to take over... only a few small backup patches left.

when i lived up north they called it making wood.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Yep, and that old adage about your firewood warming you twice is very real.

Reply to
Steve Peek

And the reason I've been holding off a little until it cools off some .

90? and 90% aren't real conducive to swingin' 9 pounds of maul and dragging 100 lb rounds out of the woods . Add in the ticks and chiggers and it's way less than pleasant to cut wood in summer here . But now I have a basic stock pile , I can do most of my "makin' wood" in the winter . If this works out right I'll be using what I've already got cut this winter while cutting for next . I drug a lawn tractor home yesterday that's going to make a lot of things easier , once I get it running ... but for 25 bucks I couldn't pass it up . I figger it'll be around 3-400 in parts to get it back in top shape , but it'll be equal to or better than units that sell new for a couple of thousand dollars .
Reply to
Terry Coombs