Growing Wild Rice

Has anyone ever tried growing wild rice? I have a large but shallow pond on my property which might make a good paddy. Very slow water flow through it from a spring. Also, we have a shallow creek about three to four feet across but that's down in a gully, about 6 feet deep, and shaded in most parts.

I would guess that the wild rice one buys in the store has been processed in some way so that it wouldn't sprout. Do you know any sources for viable wild rice seeds?

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Have fun and consider adding Sugar Maples to your fun. I've only got one but it tapped regularly by wood peckers .

Bill

Reply to
Bill who putters

I got a few plants from a nursery in western Massachusetts; google will likely turn something up. Planted in the margin of my 2/3 acre pond, they have self-seeded and survived, but not to any useful extent.

IIRC, the commercial stuff has been parched, so won't sprout.

Gary Woods

I have not grown rice or any other grain except corn. I might give it shot by making an artificial patty field.

have only one type of rice seed.

I got the web site from a book called: Home Grown Whole Grains by Sara pitzer :ISBN-10: 160342153X I have not read too much of this book. I got the book just to tip the $25 free shipping cost. Book cost $10.17 on Amazon.com

The book has the rice growing time 90-180 days. I live in Michigan so I am not sure of the long growing time rice needs. I suppose finding the best rice type for the growing area is going to the hard part. Then digging the patty fields. According to the book one can start the seeds indoors then transplant outside for the shorter seasons.

You have found a sore spot. Where does one find the rice seeds?

Enjoy Life... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

I have never tried this place. They do not seem to have a web site. Some web searching came up with this address for buying Wild Rice Seed.

Wildlife Nurseries Inc

904 Bauman St Oshkosh WI 54902-3427 920-231-3780

Enjoy Life... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.