Grow Guide Niffty

I'd look about their home too.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Interesting read on Till and No till and N.

Reply to
Bill who putters

And so this is Easter. Sorry John L.

Big Buck Bunny.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Real interesting article that you found for us, Bill.

Of course it was put out by the USDA, which means that they are talking about petrochemical fertilizers, but no matter, still interesting.

"The overall effect of tillage is a soil environment that stimulates aerobic microbial activity, eventually leading to increased decomposition rates of plant residue-C and accelerated cycling of soil-N compared with no-till and native prairie soils."

"Normally, when plant residues with C:N ratios greater than approximately 20 parts C to one part N are added to the soil available N is immobilized during the first few weeks of decomposition (Sinha et al., 1977; Doran and Smith, 1991; Somda et al., 1991; Green and Blackmer, 1995). Green et al. (1995) observed that incorporation of corn stover into soil resulted in rapid immobilization of all available inorganic N during the rapid decomposition period. This occurred because the microbial population decomposing the plant residue had increased exponentially in response to the C source and tillage, essentially needing the N much like cattle require protein in a balanced feed ration. If N immobilization occurs when a crop needs N for growth and development, the growth and yield may be reduced."

Reply to
Billy

One thing that is sometimes missed is the understanding of things not studied in a formal way. Understanding gained via wisdom versus knowledge is about close but you we I have to learn in our own way. Weird sentence given. I consider usenet a pointer for doing.

The PDF does provide useful questions and Billy has addressed some of them as per usual thoughfully . I'd add right on but I'd caveat that oil and timing and microbial health is currently economically driven as our health and well being is not in the non wholistic equation.

Watch the rabbit video. My wife wants to take it to school for those times when the class is done but the time or bell rules. Bill who killed

15 flying squirrels in his attic last year. Love them outside btw.
Reply to
Bill who putters

Then there is the coincidence of,

However, with N fertilizer prices nearly doubling within the past year, there is now adequate economic pressure to minimize N fertilizer costs and make efforts to make one¹s crop production program as efficient as possible. REFERENCES

With seed prices creeping up each year, no doubt because of the back-to-the-garden movement and the ensuing demand for seed,

Uh huh, fertilizer prices going up, and seed prices going up, and "no doubt because of the back-to-the-garden movement".

So we are getting reamed, and it is our fault, yeah, sure, right.

The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company F1Q10

In fact, we saw some important trends develop in the quarter that reinforced our confidence in the strategies we have shared with you in the past. The improvement in the United States follows a consistent pattern led by strong consumer demand. Consumer purchases of our products in the US, as measured by the POS data that we see from our retail partners increased 14% in the first quarter. We saw improvements in 49 states with only North Dakota being the outlier. And we saw double-digit gains in 38 states.

The main driver in the quarter was lawn fertilizer, up 32%. . . (Must be more golf courses for the obscenely rich.- Billy)

. . . I want to stress that we still have very limited distribution in this space, and we are confident there is plenty of room for growth, if we remain focused on innovation and marketing. For the record, let me touch upon the other United States categories. Consumer purchases of Roundup improved by 10% in the quarter, growing media increased by 7% and plant food by 4%.

Reply to
Billy