Grey laundry water for garden watering?

Sold them to local Jewish folk never ate them. Sold our rats to local black folk eat some.

Our community was made up of poor blacks, whites, jews and what ever got here. Hand pumps for water and wood or coal for heat. We all were driven out to make for modern expansion. We called it the meadows where my back yard was a large swamp of a few hundred acres. The Philadelphia airport is real close to where I grew up. BTw the projects failed and the area is now a wasted community. They took 1 out of every

3 homes and it is still like that.

Never canned any fish or meat. Dried fish in a dehydrator and froze meat.

I'm not feeling elderly but I'd like to sleep sound and not know what Tinnitus and other health things mean. Looking at my efforts to be healthy I some times the effort was for naught. But when I jump over a curb I think yea.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

My son turned me onto raw, thinly sliced beef. It is really good.

A couple years ago I stupidly ate a few raw shrimp, without even thinking about the consequences. Vibrio, for one! Nothing ended up happening, but it was one the best tasting meats I have eaten.

You are right, rare beef is the best!! Sear that baby over really, really hot and crust the outside.......wow. Philly style. When Dad died, I inherited his Big Green Egg. I get that baby up to about 750F and give thick steaks about two mins on each side then slam the vents shut for another couple. Orgasmic.

Chard is wunnerful stuff and you get a *lot* from the plants. We freeze like spinach, the extra.

You probably don't like pickled beets either. Shame....after you eat 'em you can throw in hardboiled eggs and in a couple weeks.......mmmmmmmm.

Hmmm.......just a suggestion....we started growing Chioggia beets, look like a red and white bullseye. The tops are excellant and the root is different from red beets. Cooks nearly white and is rather sweet and lacks that typical beet earthyness, IMO. I've had them shaved in salads and they are good raw....again, IMO. ;-)

I've been reading recently about eating all sorts of greens, and it seems that most overthing we eat main crop, the leaves are edible too. I never even though about eating the rest of the plant, of say broccoli and carrots and radishes. Michael Pollan started me thinking down this path.

Good eats, and too many words ;-) Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

We sort of think of this as pickled eggs dyed red.

Bill German good stuff

Reply to
Bill

It's handfishing for catfish. You quietly wade along the banks and around brush piles, gently and sloooowly sliding your hand into likely spots around the piles and holes in the bank. If a catfish is present, often nesting, it will usually nip your fingers and release. After crapping yourself, and not flailing around, you either slide back and grab gills or let it bite again and stick your fingers, or if it is large, your arm in and hang on and retrieve the fish. You can imagine the problems this can present. I never did like this, though it is effective. Soemthing about being bitten and shredded, when you can't see what is happening that is just not too........fun.

Know the feeling...we keep on keepin' on do't we.

Nice video......it is nice to see again what has heretofore been archived only in memory. Youtube is great. THanks Bill. Sent me on a search and watch of Bobby Darin......Mack the Knife...has some special memories.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Oh yes indeed....you have some *great* food heritage...we love german eats.

When we lived in KC, we found one authentic german eatery, hole in the wall that opened into Munich, authentic german proprietors, best schnitzel ala holstein and fried cabbage I ever had......second best food in town......gates bbq was first. ;-)

My heritage, scots, gives us haggis.......need I say more. But, we also contribute Glenlivet.......

Charlie, who has a pig butt on the smoker as we speak...pulled pork sammies for the youngsters tomorrow.

Reply to
Charlie

Try marinading the thinly cut beef in vinaigrette for an hour or two, or over night. Serve with cold leeks or asparagus cut into 1" to 2" lengths, and French bread. Bread, cheese, and red wine, afterwards.

Reply to
Billy

I was kidding! We dont want droves of people carp fishing in this ladies water tank.... We only wanted to get rid of the mosquitos. Oh hell. I remember the saying " its hard, when you find yourself in the middle of a mudhole full of alligators that you only came to drain the swamp" Shhooo no fishing allowed!

Reply to
Jonno

Who was Tony Martin? I don't remember him. I'm with you on the Tinnitus. A little peace and quiet would be nice.

Reply to
Billy

I'm wondering if there is a fillet technique for them.

Reply to
Omelet

Ah nevermind. I missed reading this the first time... Sounds a lot like preparing catfish except those are not scored.

Reply to
Omelet

I have _tons_ of red wrigglers living in my back yard!

Reply to
Omelet

Mom used to can meat. It keeps for years that way. A pressure cooker is a godsend.

For tinnitus, try running a fan at night. Works well for me.

I have trouble sleeping without one now. ;-)

Stretching exercises keep me mobile.

Reply to
Omelet

Yep. It is pretty quick after you get the hang of it.

BTW....if so inclined, both the roe sacs (female) and milt sacs (male) are good eating...awfully rich, in particular the carp nuts. We hillbillys like our oysters of any sorts. ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Glad to know we aren't the only ones like this. Fan always at night. When we travel we must carry a fan. Winter and summer. Night silence is....unnerving. ;-)

Reply to
Charlie

It is good, but I prefer it minimally cooked. When I cook shrimp, I do it in a very hot pan with butter and olive oil with garlic, dill weed and lemon pepper (salt free). Toss it around in the pan until it just turns pink.

I like raw octopus and tuna, but not squid. Squid gotta be braised or deep fried. ;-d

I know what you mean! Did you see my jpeg?

It also grows forever!

I've made pickled eggs using beet juice from the cans and pickle juice from the jars I buy at the grocery store. :-) That's a way to cheat making your own cucumber or okra pickles. Get the brand of pickles you like from the store, (I like Claussens), eat the pickles and save the commercial juice for pickling! I keep it in the 'frige.

Hm. I'll have to look for that! I like to steam radishes in stews and cooked veggie mixes, greens and all.

Yes they are! See above for radish greens. :-) Those are tossed by most people.

Oh gods. Both Broccoli and Cauliflower greens are GOOD! I always add them to the steaming mix. ;-d But, I do love greens. Never tried eating carrot tops, just fed them to the bird. I imagine, if nothing else, they'd be good for stock. They have a rather intense flavor. I always use celery leaves as well, and I freeze the tough asparagus stems to use in stock.

Indeed! :-) I finally started saving a LOT more trimmings in the freezer for stock. I've been amazed at the difference that "garbage" has made in the intensity of my stock flavor. I use stock mostly for making rice. I never cook rice in just water.

I've got some beef rib bones from a local BBQ place that I go to occasionally. I'll be using that smoky beef stock to make lentils.

Reply to
Omelet

Sounds tasty. I did a big batch of braised chicken drumsticks today, (they were on sale for $.99 per lb. for an 8 lb. bag) and a hyooge pot of black rice cooked in pork and veggie stock.

Reply to
Omelet

Ooh, sounds yummy! I often use a vinaigrette marinade for grilled chicken over a wood fire. Marinating the asparagus prior to grilling works too. I have one of those veggie grill thingies for the wood grill.

Reply to
Omelet

Fixing carp is easy. Get a large pot. Fill with water, put a half dozen or so rocks on the bottom. Bring to boil. Add 1 large or several small carp. Cut up as needed so they fit in pot. Add salt and pepper, not too much. Boil for about 20 minutes - fish tend to cook fast. Discard carp, remove and eat rocks.

Reply to
Zootal

And I wonderin' if 'en there isn't somethin' more wonderful than someone who will listen to what is bein' said. Thanks for bein' there.

Reply to
Billy

Oh yeah, sounds extra tasty! If nuthin' else, we on wrecked gardens sure do eat well!

Makes it hard to stretch oftimes! ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie