Grey laundry water for garden watering?

I was hoping to get some advice regarding the use of grey water from the laundry for garden watering ? mainly lawns. I?m not at all asking about the legality of it, which is not at all an issue. Rather I am trying to find out whether or not the grey laundry water is likely to stuff up my lawns. I use different sorts of washing powders, switching between different brands, but I typically add:

NapiSan OxyAction MAX

Is this sort of grey water ok for lawn watering? What if this grey water was used for deep soil irrigation near plants and shrubs? (This is much less of an issue at this stage). I really would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Reply to
Gas Bag

I know, I hate to see all that water to down the drain too! I've used my laundry water for the lawn and shrubs with no problem. I haven't tried it on veggies.

If you use boi-degradeable SOAP not detergent you can use the wash water. The rinse water is fine by you have to be careful about that fabric softener.

Plus, deep watering is better for shrubs than a sprinkling anyway. Good for you!

Reply to
Laura at theGardenPages

Perfect storm indeed. We had good rain Nov. to March and then the driest March-April ever. We are looking at sever water rationing at the same time the price of food is skyrocketing. I think I need a water tank.

Reply to
Billy

Get some food-grade poly drums and set them up to catch the rainwater from the downspouts on your house. If you want to spend a lot of money, you can buy rain barrels that have hose bibs already installed in them. I think Gardener's Supply sells them.

A caveat: you may want to put a piece of plywood or something over the top of the barrels, to keep debris out. At the very least, put a little piece of wood -- a stick or something -- in there, so little birds won't drown. If they get in there, they can climb onto the stick, dry out and fly away.

Food grade poly drums are available from canneries. They buy their vinegar in them.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

Why would food grade drums be necessary for catching rain water running off a non food grade roof... to do what... pour on the non food grade ground. Am I missing something, or why wouldn't an ordinary plastic trash can be suitable?

You can buy low quality for like $10-$15 but they will decay from UV exposure and probably crack from freezing temps.

I have two of these, excellent quality:

Sheldon

Last cistern I saw was in Ohio in 1968. Living in NJ no need at this time. Ground water is about 20 feet down. My well is about 40 feet down but all the new is about 100. Nitrates are the major contaminate and old gasoline tanks and oil residues.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Also beware of mosquitos.

Reply to
Billy

That is likely to happen. Use BT dunks.

Reply to
Omelet

That will keep mosquitos out of standing water?

Reply to
Billy

Put in some goldfish. Theyre organic eat mossies, and you can always eat them when they grow big enough.

Reply to
Jonno

From what I have read, yes. BT dunks are specifically made for standing water skeeter control.

Reply to
Omelet

But carp are so bony! ;-)

I'd personally vote for bass or crappie minnows!

Reply to
Omelet

the low permeability of my local soil, I opted for an above ground leech field. It the size of a very large putting green. Soil depth is too deep to have any concern of grass rootage affecting the leech piping. But, at the same time, enough water is drained to keep the grass from drying out in drought periods...

Reply to
Dioclese

Any recipes for crappie minnows?;-))

Reply to
Billy

My problem is that the garden is up-hill from my grey water. I have a pump and hoses. I think a twenty - thirty gallon tank on my garage (above the gardens) is basically all I need. That, and information on which laundry and dish washing compounds are safe with my plants.

Reply to
Billy

We use those barrels to catch potable water at our cabins. If you set them so the first rain of the season doesn't go into the barrel, the dust gets washed off roof.

A plastic garbage can degrades from UV a lot faster than a poly drum. And you have to pay for a garbage can. We get our poly drums for free.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

Trout are also a good alternative, but it rooly depends on the size of the tank. Mossies are not really problem. Just put in some fly screens mesh (in the tank stoopid) not in the windows. Really some people have no imagination, and neither have they got a sense of humus...er humour? you git my vote omelet. Bacon with that?

Reply to
Jonno

And I'll bet it's REALLY green! :-)

Reply to
Omelet

Just eat 'em whole! Sushi.

Reply to
Omelet

Indeed... Gotta fry the fish in bacon grease. ;-d

A little veggie or mineral oil on top of the water kills skeeter larvae too.

Reply to
Omelet