Garlic questions

Right about in the middle of New York state.

When is the best time to plant garlic cloves?

This year I harvested some but the head's outer skin was broken in places.

The garlic is good but does not look as good as the ones in stores.

Any suggestion on how I can make the skins on the heads look better?

Thanks

Reply to
Netter

We plant ours (Syracuse) in November. They all come up, and do OK. Size is variable, and mostly not as big as the farmers' market ones, but good enough.

George

Reply to
George

I'm in southeast Michigan, and I plan to plant my garlic this weekend.

It's important to harvest the garlic while some leaves are still green to get well wrapped bulbs.

Hang or lay out to dry in a sheltered, airy place. (Don't leave them out in the sun.)

My garlic usually is ready to harvest in July.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Now through November (I'm in the hills west of Albany)

You harvested too late and the wrappers were deteriorating. About half the tops should still be green when you harvest.

Garlic is the worst of both worlds; a heavy feeder and a poor competitor. Give it your best soil and keep well weeded. Do as I say, not as I do!

Some basics on my personal web page, in the .sig below.

Gary Woods

Not entirely true. pH tolerant, less thirsty than many vegetables, excellent companion plant for many vegetables. If you interplant with lettuce or mulch after the spears are one foot high there will be no weeding.

Reply to
simy1

Poughkeepsie, NY here - just put mine in this morning

Reply to
Steve Calvin

Fergus, Ontario

Put ours in last week.

Reply to
MY WORD

I was late this year by about 2 weeks. I usually like them to have sprouted 2 inches or so before the cold weather really hits. Some may question that but every year that I've done it I've gotten larger and stronger garlic for some reason. Don't ask me to explain it, 'cause I can't.

Reply to
Steve Calvin

Thanks for all the help

Reply to
Netter

How cold does it get? Do you have consistent snow cover?

George

We can get to -10 to -15dF but it's not usually that cold. As for snow cover, it depends on the year. Sometimes we never see the "grass" all winter and other years the snow comes and goes.

Reply to
Steve Calvin

Well I'm glad we got ours in. We had snow friday and Saturday. Not nice to plant in.

Reply to
MY WORD

You can see Fergus on this map. We are 5a

MY WORD

Hi All My garlic has been in for a couple of weeks and is about 6 " high now.

Richard M. Watkin.

Reply to
R M. Watkin