Garlic After the Foliage Fall

The foliage in my garlic patch has fallen over and is turning yellow/brown. I've dug up a few of the garlic bulbs but they're a bit on the small side. Will they continue to grow if I leave them in the ground longer, or does the falling over signal the end of the growing process?

-Fleemo

Reply to
fleemo17

They're done growing for now. If you do nothing with them, they'll sprout again next year, but it's also possible they'll rot, depending on drainage and weather. When the scapes (flowers & seed pods) formed, did you cut them off? If not, you should. You'll get bigger garlic.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Reply to
fleemo17

What kind of garlic did you plant? Some are small and then there is elephant garlic. I plant my garlic cloves in Aug/early Sept, and harvest it in July. I cure it after washing off the dirt, by laying it on the back porch in a single layer, in the shade for 10 to 15 days. Then I move it inside to a cool room . I harvested 53 heads of garlic this year, 3/4 th of it was elephant garlic.

I do water it regularly. I soak the ground at least once a week during the growing season. When ever I came across one that didn't get the water (wasn't close enough to the soaker hose), found that it didn't split into cloves. Those I replant right away for next year.

Good luck and have fun.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne