Cordyline Australis about to keel!!

Hi,

hoping someone can help as my pride and joy is about to keel over I think! On of my Cordyline Australis is around 7ft high with trunk diameter of around 18/19 inches and was I belive firmly planted in. This has been sound sound for around 3 years but lately I have noticed its starting to lean and I fear the roots are being stressed due to this, yesterday I took a good look and its baffling me how its staying upright, thats how much its leaning.

What are my options to fix this?

1 - Use strapping of some sort to try and pull back ot to at least offer support and minimise further damage? If so can I buy in the UK?

2 - Look to buy some sort of stake again to offer support, but wonder if this could do more damage

3 - Dig down [missing roots!] and replant the tree upright. I dont favour this option as could potentially kill the root system..

Any other ideas appreciated and thankyou for reading

Reply to
garyb

Heres a couple of photos showing the situation, really need help as its appears to be leaning more each day?

again

Reply to
garyb

g'day gary,

looks more like a yucca in ways but not to worry.

i reckon it is a cramped growing position by the looks of it? that is it is too close to a structure as as the side shoots develop they need space to grow.

so you can maybe stake it a bit by putting a stake in on the side that is leaning away and then use some light rope that has a section of around 12"s of old garden hose to prevent rope damage to the plant, leave this stake until the plant has grown past the obstruction, it is only for support to stop the plant from leaning to a point of no return, that is maybe falling over.

or trim off all the foliage except for the growing tip, and transplant the plant, you won't need a huge root ball, and the best time might be in the growing season which i figure is about now for you?

just to c snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

len gardener

Hi, C. australis require good drainage Plant appears to be mulched to the stem and may be over-watered. If you find that the roots are rotting or there is serious rot at ground level (loose "bark") then staking is doubtful and curing the rot even more doubtful. Consider cutting the plant above damage, drying for a couple weeks and re-planting. This "new" plant would require stakes and very LITTLE water. If there is enough energy still in the plant and you don't live in a marginal area for these it should set new roots. HTH -_- how

Reply to
how

Hi and thank you both for your replies much to think about!

The benches on the left were built after the tree was planted so root system is well below the foundations for this, which are around ground level. I understand it may be cramped but have no other options in urban back garden unfortunately. from trunbk base to hardscaping is around 1metre with root system approx 500mm down. If I wiggle it about some it does move more than my other Australis but not overly. I have today hung a small stone on a piece of light string 1/2 inch from soil, if its touching the soil by the weekend I know I am in trouble I guess!

The plant itself seems very healthy and is currently flowering on 3 branches out of 4, do you really think there is a chance I could dig this up & replant [staked] without doing root damage? If not is it wise to stake by the bench on the left and use garden strapping just to take weight rather than try to pull it back to normal position?

Sorry for all questions, I think Im getting paranoid about it!!

Again thanx for your help, its appreciated

Reply to
garyb