brick wall for pond

Hi,

Im thinking of building a pond. I am going to build a brick wall in a sort of shape like this looking down from above (well not quite that shape but u get the idea.).

|------------| | | \ | \ | \--------- The wall we be about 3 feet high from the ground and then I will put decking around at I expect about 12 inches from the ground. So I will see 2ft of the wall above the decking. Then fill inside the walled hole with 1ft of soil, then lay a rigid pond on top of the soil and back fill it all in.

Does this sound reasonable to you?

Will a wall one brick thick be enough support for all the soil and the pond.

Ive heard of retaining walls - ones that sort of click together - like lego:-) Would this be stronger?

Im still reading up on depths of footings etc as the idea is at its very early stages.

Also any gotcha's I need to think about.

Im a novice at brick wall and pond building although not too bad at indoor DIY jobs. The house is all complete now though so I need a new challenge.

TIA, Scott

Reply to
scott

You haven't given any indication of the length, width of the enclosure for the pond, so advice will be a bit hit and miss.

Personally, I'd be going for a 9" thick wall if the pond is any decent size.

Are you wanting to keep Koi? If so, you should be thinking about pond filtration.

Also allow for some means to drain the pond.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Length and width don't make any difference; it's the height of the water that affects the force. Regardless of whether there's a 3 yard pond or 3 mile reservoir, the wall will be subjected to the same forces.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

theres no way 4" will be enough. 9" or 13".

Not clear why youre going to dump a foot of soil in there.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The wall is only to hold the soil

the soil is being packed around a rigid walled pond

Reply to
Phil L

Maybe. A wall supporting a pond would be subjected to the same force per unit area regardless of length. Depending on end constraints, a long wall may possibly be easier to push over than a short one.

But that's all irrelevant in this case anyway, 'cos the OP's using a *rigid* pond shell - so the wall's just containing a bit of soil round the shell, and not supporting the water.

Reply to
Roger Mills