old bluebell, tulip, daffodil foliage - to cut or not to cut?!

At this time of the year the leaves should be turning yellow (or brown). When they do that is when you can pull them up. If you pull up any bulbs out when you remove the old foliage just replant them where they were.

I always leave my bulbs in the ground. If I want to move some of them to another location I did it about this time of the year. Bulbs "stored" in the ground do much better than stored anywhere else. No matter how well they are stored they tend to dry out when not in the ground.

Reply to
Bill R

Being totally new to gardening, i need some advice.

I have several bunches of leaves in my garden from daffodils, crocuses, tulips but mostly bluebells and i want to know whether or not i can cut them back.

And would the foliage have to be actually cut or can i just pull the leaves out of the ground - will doing this damage the bulbs in any way?

I know that bulbs gain energy for next years flowering from the old leaves but how long should i leave them for? The flowerbed looks a right mess and i have other plants i'd like to put in there as soon as possible.

Also, am i supposed to leave tulip bulbs in the ground or dig them up after they've flowered? My dad says dig em up, my friend says leave em in - who's right?!

Any advice would really be appreciated :)

Reply to
redtail