spots on tomatoes

I just killed off my snails around my vegetable bed but I don't know if they were the cause of the spots on my tomatoes. What else should I suspect is going on? I have small brown spots on most of my tomatoes. Harvesting my fruits/veggies has always been a downer since the fruit is damaged. HELP Thank you in advance, ME

Reply to
M.E.

Are the tomatoes lying right on the soil?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Could be blossom end rot which is calcium deficiency. I put a couple of handfulls of limestone (calcium carbonate) around my tomatos to prevent this.

Reply to
Frank

Would bone meal work as well?

Reply to
Mindful

Reply to
bamboo

This is the best reason of all for caging tomatoes, and not with the flimsy stupid ones they sell in stores, but ones you build yourself, strong enough to withstand rough weather and support plants whose weight is much greater than it seems. Other than occasional cracking, and one tomato hornworm the size of a Volkswagen, I haven't seen any tomato problems in 30 years.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Calcium source does not matter. Don't know the calcium content of bone meal or wood ashes. Eggshells would work. But some sources are rapid like the wood ash suggestion or lime. I prefer to take it slowly as I've nearly killed tomato seedings by fertilizing too much.

Reply to
Frank