black bottom tomatoes

my crop of tomatoes is not so great. Some of the fruit has black, flat bottoms. What is this, what causes this and can I prevent it. Any help, thanks

Reply to
Sly boots 9

Kswck

Reply to
Kswck

Apparently my tomatoes have Blossom end rot as well, the top of the fruit looks beautiful but th bottoms are horrid. I've notived tht the bottom most leaves on the plant turn yellow and get small brown spots all over them. Does this have anything to do with Blossom end rot or is it another problem that i can remedy by adding somethig to the soil? Thank you :)

-- Weirdo Magnet

------------------------------------------------------------------------ posted via

Weirdo Magnet

It's just lime. Cukes do not like a lot of lime in the soil.

Reply to
Kswck

Lime.

Reply to
Kswck

Most vegetables grow best with a soil pH of 6.5--this is slighly acid, Lime is akaline and is used to sweeten overly acid soil.Lime amendments usually contain the elements calcium and magnesium. Both are secondary plant nutrients and are necessary for the plants good health. A ph test of the soil should be made now. If any is needed lime is best added in the off season.

Reply to
Frankhartx

Ahhh ... that is why the below advice is so good. There are other ways to add calcium to a soil that do not raise the pH, though.

Like my suggestion of adding oyster shell food supplement tablets at planting time.

Reply to
Noydb

Reply to
AnonnyMoose