Garden Fence

Fellow gardeners, listen up. It appears que le bonne temps va rouler. Our much maligned "weather guesser" is predicting that the "Left Coast" will be in the 80's tomorrow and pushing at 100F by thursday. If the past is any indication, the Mid-West is five days away from a heat wave. Enjoy the drizzle and overcast while you can, and get ready to "RUMBLE", er . . . garden, a last:o))

Reply to
Billy

...'bout damn time....

The local shamans (shamen?) have said that, after three to five inches of rain Thursday (in an area where a spilled glass of water causes flooding problems), we are in for FIVE STRAIGHT DAYS OF SUNSHINE. I have the feeling that, with double the normal rainfall since Thanxgiving, the ground has compacted, so that, with sunshine, it should harden into concrete. I have a feeling that my tiller (and I) will be busy almost all season. But, mayhap I can mow the two ft. high weeds that cover the plantation. There has not been enough drying time between floods to mow all this spring. Thank the FSM that my early crops are easy to find in 30 in. raised beds.

cheers

oz, changing oil, gapping points, and flushing fuel tanks

P.S. I found some heirloom seedling to replace the ones that blew away during the last near tornado.

Reply to
MajorOz

Déploiement de ces paresseux, brumeux, fou jours de l'été. Ces jours de soude et les bretzels et de la bière. ~~Nat

It will be nice to see some warmth, though a hunnert is a little extreme. Thanks for your work as point man for those of us in the flyover. ;-)

Tornado hit NE Mo today, Shelby County, haven't heard reports. Tore hell outta south Mizzery again just the other day. Heard this is the worst since 1950.

Poor Oz, that sodden feller is floating away.

BTW......you gotta try this compost tea brewing. Hmmmm......wonder if Lee has any recipes for Compost Ale? ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Be careful what you wish for, so the adage goes. 90s for the Left Coast through at least Sunday, says the weather guesser.

We are working hard out here to send you some heat Charlie.

I'd better go, I think I hear the garden waking up.

Reply to
Billy

Have a care now and in your zeal overshoot Charlie's optimal range of

80-85F. ;-)

Perhaps mine will begin to awaken, thanks to your efforts.

I've the first batch of tea ready to go and am goin

Charlie, looking to to plant tomatoes and a bunch of other stuff this evening

Reply to
Charlie

Uh oh, no blankets,windows open, and attic fan on last night.

80F this morning at 7 AM.

Weather guesser predicting 101F for in town. We always run a little hotter.

Brace yourself Charlie;o)

Summer be a comin' in.

Reply to
Billy

We've gotten two good downpours over two days. :-) I'm HAPPY about that!

Reply to
Omelet

Uh.......that is way out of range. Please resample.

Excellant!! Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer...those days of soda and pretzels and beer (Nat).

I put 10 maters in the ground and 6 in pots, 10 pots of peppers so far and am making a run to the plant place and pick prettys and trailies for more pots. Hmmmm......better get more potting mix too.

I've been making a mix that should be yummy in pots. New potting mix, old potting mix, compost, mushroom compost and composted bullshit and inoculated the works with super duper compost tea. No ratios, just what groks out right.

Planted bush beans, rattlesnake pole beans, more beets and carrots last evening also. Gotta get the cukes and zukes in today also. The weather appears to be going from winter to summer with little in between.

I alos made a piggy of meself with grass clippings. Wound up with 3/4 pickup load the other day and was hard pressed to do something with them before they got too smelly. Was reading that the best way to handle them is to spread them out on the drive and let 'me dry and them bag for use as mulch. Lovey only made a minor squawk about carpeting her drive with grass. Cost me a foot rub, it did.

Catch ya later Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

This morning while walking in the gardens morning mist (it is usually fog, but this morning it's steam), I came upon a recovering cauliflower (pre-FePO4 treatment, gotta do it every 2 weeks) that has purplish-orange eggs (one group of 3 and another of 7) on the underside of its' leaves. Doesn't match description of cabbage worms. Probably innocuous, right? Or is this where I bring out the Sevin, flame throwers, and a tactical nu-clee-ar device?

Reply to
Billy

Oh hell, just squish them, or remove part of the leaf. ;-)

Reply to
Omelet

That was just one plant that is recovering from some heavy grazing. My cabbage patch has 5 more cauliflowers and a dozen cabbages. I was hoping to avoid doing daily physicals on the Brassica;o)

Reply to
Billy

I feel your pain... ;-D

I've had similar problems in the past with brocolli and chard. The worms actually claimed a horseradish. . The worms have to be picked at dawn when they are out, and they can make seriously short work of the plants!

BT???

I've not given it an honest try yet for cabbage worms, but I've read and heard nothing but good about it.

Reply to
Omelet

Ay, ay cap'n. Uh, better make that oy,oy, cap'n. I resampled and the upshot of it all is that IT'S "HOT".

We be 95F'd cap' @ 11:30 in the blessed AM.

I worry for Emilie, out there in the Devil's own furnace, a.k.a. Cantral Valley. I can't remember if she has elevation to moderate the heat or is just gonna' take it in the shorts.

Talk to you on the other side of the heat cap'n.

Shields up, er, umbrellas up.

Reply to
Billy

Well, gave the rest of the cauliflowers their physicals, and no sign of more eggs. The cauliflower with the eggs is a good 50' from the rest of the brassica, in a six pack, with a couple of recovering green beans, an' balanced between two tomato arbors 'bout 3' off the ground, where the dogs and cats would be tempted to nibble them (yesterday I caught Lilly nibbling on the echinacea). Think I'll hold off on doin' anything that may be drastic or expensive.

I noticed a couple of patches of green where I had grown my dent corn last year. The Dent has gone feral on me. It no longer respects the roles of the gardener and the gardened. I thought that was the big thing about corn, that it needed to be planted. Well, I had just prepared a new bed for the Dent corn, so I guess I'll just dig them up and transplant them;-)

The weather gods have been merciful. After a quick run up of the temperature this morning, a breeze settled in and is keeping us around

99F accuweather.com & 100F weather.com:o()
Reply to
Billy

I may have been a tad precipitous. It is 6 PM and 101F. Instead of dropping to 93F tomorrow, the forecast now is for 103F. Sunflowers came up today:-)

Reply to
Billy

BT is not expensive. :-) And it's not a poison. It's a bacteria that kills larvae.

Very cool!

So far, it's only hit in the 90's here, but it's early yet...

Reply to
Omelet

I've had wild sunflower coming up for weeks.

Reply to
Omelet

Uhhh...sorry to appear ignorant about climate outside of me own backyard, but isn't this just a tad bit warmish for this time of year? And in your area?

Charlie, looking fer signs of some sort ;-)

Reply to
Charlie

Oy vey, Mate....that sucks... cap'n Charlie melts at these temps!

Oh shit, this is not good! 95 am 1100 here is BAD!

Whoo boy.....this bodes ill!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

My experience has been that dogs love echinacea. They kept it mowed to the ground and when they could no longer graze, the bastards dug it up. That was the collies that have since passed.

The dane just mashes stuff.

Chalrie

Reply to
Charlie