I want to avoid any aggro. It's not that the couple are nasty or anything - they have been helpful since we moved and are generally OK, but I dread the day when my kids kick the ball at their single pane windows and smash them. To be honest, I wouldn't like it either if I were in their shoes.
I was going to have a sports fence put up along the wall, but since the wall is theirs they objected. They also commented they wouldn't like it on the grounds that it would look like a prison camp.
I thought that perhaps I should consider restricted the kids ball games to one area and putting one of those cricket nets there so that we could be sure that the ball won't go far. It'll be safer because at the bottom end the garden faces a busy road and I don't want the kids chasing after the balls on there.
So the questions:
1. What options are available to erect a suitable barrier between our and the neighbours gardens?
2. How much of a say do they have in what sort of fencing I put up on the edge of my garden?
3. What is the maximum legal height for a garden fence.
4. What if we put up an 8ft high washing line and hung some nest from this as and when the kids were playing. The netting could be easily taken down when not in use.
5. Would I require permission for cricket net type apparatus?