Garden fence recommendation?

I have an 8x8 foot vegetable garden. Plus lots of small animals that eat my vegetables. I put up a chicken wire fence last year but that didn't stop anything. I prefer not to dig a trench around my garden to bury the chicken wire plus I'm not sure it would help any way. Are there any recommendations for a commercial fence or do it yourself that's easy to install but also goes in the ground a few inches?

------------------------------------------------ Steve Gross IT Manager Fette America (973) 586-8722

Reply to
Steve Gross

A simple fence will generally do the job if the animals think that there's enough for them outside the fence. Rabbits and woodchucks like broadleaf plants such as clover. Plant some in your yard and put a fence around the garden. The fence doesn't have to be buried: it just needs to make it difficult (it's unlikely that you will be able to make it impossible) for them to get in. As long as there's something outside, they'll take the easier food and not bother your garden.

Reply to
dps

I used a few cedar logs (3-6" dia) at the bottom of the chicken wire fence, then used a staple gun to fasten it. You could use white oak, cypress, redwood, fence posts--other woods could be used but expect rot in 2 or 3 years. Without the fence fixed to the ground, animals will crawl and dig under it.

Reply to
Phisherman