fruit on datil pepper plants?

I have twelve datil pepper plants, and I have no flowers or peppers most of the plants look healthy, all are in pots some 1/2 gal with single plants and most in 5 gal. buckets 2 per. bucket all are in 1/3 peat moss,1/3 potting soil, 1/3 perlite and light amount of granular fertilizer. I am in central florida, four hrs.direct sun a day. thanks in advance

Reply to
dan

As a datapoint, I'm in northern Ohio and growing Datils also. They're late, but flowering and fruiting now. I'm not sure how big a mature Datil pepper should be. They taste like Habeneroes, I've found, which doesn't thrill me too much.

Reply to
Ken Anderson

I would say that's your most likely culpit. They want more sun.

What kind of fertilizer are you using? You know not to use a high nitrogen fertilizer, right?

Penelope, who's drowning in peppers right now.

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

datapoint, I'm in northern Ohio and growing Datils also. They're late,

Well, they're _C. Chinense_, and most of them do have a distinct flavor. Hmm, Pimento De Cheiro and Limon are the only two I can think of right off hand that don't have that distinct Habanero flavor.

So, what's your idea of a tasty pepper?

My problem is that my "must grow" list keeps getting longer and longer, but my yard stays the same size!

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

makes me miss where i used to live. had over 50 varities of chilli growing in pots, sadly where i live now they can be treated as annuals at best. not enough sun :( i found i like the habs above all others because of their fruity flavour, but having said that i have a great recipe using jalapeno with watermelon and pineapple. a spicy fruit salad. yum

Wyld_Cat

Reply to
Wyld_Cat

I want to find a hot pepper that has that nice fruity, almost perfumey taste when you first chomp into it. The problem is, the ones I've found are too hot. The heat overtakes the flavor about 2 seconds after biting. An example would be Thai Hot. I have some Bulgarian Carrot peppers that are fruity and aromatic, but as usual, too hot. I grew the Datils on advice garnered from this learned group (well, and individual from this group!), but they don't seem to be quite what I'm looking for. Fun to experiment though. That's never a waste. Ken

Reply to
Ken Anderson

To me, Habs have a sickeningly rich, buttery flavor and smell, let alone the killer heat. I don't think of them as fruity. Just an opinion and to each his own.

Reply to
Ken Anderson

I shop at a local farmer's market, and one of the vendors specializes in peppers. One year she had a variety called "sugarchile", which was as you described, sweet and flavorful, hot but not overbearingly so. They were absolute wonderful, I froze a lot to use during the winter and I never tired of them. I tried to grow them myself the next year, but had trouble finding seeds, as did the farmer--apparently there was a crop failure. She couldn't locate them for the next few years either, so my guess is that despite its wonderful taste characteristics, it was too much trouble to grow/hybridize, and has been dropped from commerce.

This year she is offering a pepper called "Crimson Lee" (not sure of the spelling) which comes close to "sugarchile". It is perhaps a bit hotter; when I bite into one, I start to panic, then the heat recedes quickly and I'm left wanting more. It's shaped something like a Hungarian semi-hot, but more narrow.

Cheers, Sue

Reply to
SugarChile

Have you ever tried Almapaprika? They're medium hot, very thick fleshed, and have a sweetness to the heat. They're similar to cherry peppers in appearance, but much better tasting. I've come to realize that heat is relative, but since I'm also growing Bulgarian Carrot peppers this year, I can assure you that the Almapaprikas are not as hot as the Bulgarian Carrots. I got my seeds from Seed Savers , but I've seen them offered other places, too. I've been having a grand time stuffing them and roasting them on the grill.

Exactly! I love trying new varieties. And if it turns out that I don't like them, there are plenty of my friends who love getting my extras.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle