Fig Brown Turkey

My fig plant is new this year, growing as a standard & I have been pleased to see fruit on the tree. Unfortunately, something appears to have been trying to steal the figs & in the process has broken the stem & all the new growth is now on the floor, along with the fruit. Have I lost the plant or is there something I can do to retrieve it?

Reply to
FiveMins

No, if it is otherwise healthy it will recover. Figs put up new stems all the time in the growing season. Just trim of the broken bits now and feed it next spring.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Thanks for the reply. It's a relief to know that it will come back. It looks a bit silly at the moment, as though I have planted a twig, but I will follow the advice & hope for the best.

Reply to
FiveMins

David is right, the stem will recover, but you could use the branches or even branchlets from the broken bits to take cuttings. Figs grow very easily from cuttings - they arent' fussy aobut soil or anything that I've foudn - I just shove them in an old pot in whatever sandy potting mix I have to hand and next spring there is another plant.

Reply to
FarmI

Are fig trees invasive, like the ficus, would they be suitable for an average home garden?

Mike

Reply to
Bloke Down The Pub

They are not invasive, unlike the ficus tribe that have the large leathery leaves and round squishy fruits. In good conditions they grow quite big eg

6m high and 4m wide and you will have to net them unless you are in an area that has no bats, or parrots or other predators. They are quite a handsome plant as well as giving tasty fruit. The fruit makes excellent jam.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Yup to all of that. I lust after a big old one but my figs are all still well below 10ft tall.

Reply to
FarmI