Fig Pruning

I have just moved and saved cuttings of my Celeste fig. Previously, I pretty much let it go, and it was about 12 feet tall by 8 feet in spread. Now, I have limited space in my new garden and I want to try to reign the new fig in to a shorter height and smaller spread. I'm willing to sacrifice half of the crop, since I always got much more than I could handle.

Does the Celeste handle hard pruning? I found the following general information online about figs -- does this hold true for the Celeste?

Figs require very little pruning. Prune in late winter, just before new growth begins. Make smooth clean cuts, close to the lateral branch, and do not leave any stubs. To control the fig tree's height, prune by opening the bush, removing dead wood and suckers from the trunk and main branches, then cutting off drooping branches. This pruning method produces easier picking, larger fruit, and better control of the tree's vigor. Prune sufficiently to stimulate about a foot of new growth each year on most branches.

Cheema