Pruning tomatos

I think I need to prune my tomatos to yield better fruit instead of huge plant growth. I forget though, is it to pinch off the new leaves at the main branches or something else?

Reply to
andromeda4000

You prune the suckers that appear in between the branch and the stem.

..

Reply to
cloud dreamer

Huge plant growth and poor fruiting could be a result of over-fertilizing. What have your plants been feed and how frequently?

I/m not a big fan of pruning, unless it/s to remove branches that come in contact with the ground to prevent leaf diseases or if I/m trying to win an obesity prize.

Reply to
TQ

Reply to
andromeda4000

I have been following the advice on the box of tomato plant food from K-Mart and feeding one tablespoon dissolved in a gallon of water once every two weeks.

TQ wrote:

Reply to
andromeda4000

Tomats aren/t heavy feeders. Does each plant get a full gallon of 'blue light special' elixir? What/s its NPK?

I/d try laying off the ferts for a month, then resume feeding either half-strength every two weeks or full-strength once a month.

over-fertilizing.

Reply to
TQ

My 5 year old cut the top off one of my tomatoes. It was an indeterminant, will it stop growing now?

TQ wrote:

Reply to
higgledy

It shouldn't. At least as long as you got a sucker or two left. Keep an eye out the next few days. Something should show up.

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East.

Reply to
cloud dreamer

I broke the top out of a t-plant earlier this year. The suckers took over and the vine/s doing fine, which is one good reason not to pluck suckers b/c you just never know when you might need them.

Reply to
TQ