Feedback Please - This NG's FAQ?

Hi, Everybody,

The recent request for guidance to a FAQ for this newsgroup got me thinking: Maybe we should make one.

I would be willing to take suggestions for questions, answers, (including contrasting points of view), helpful links, etc. Then I can organise them, and host it on a Web page.

Some starting points:

What is a "zone," and how do I determine mine?

What is the definition of "organic"?

What is "NPK"?

What is "PH"?

What is "Agricultural Extension" (maybe with links, and equivalent reference for non-USers)?

What is "BT," and how does it work on which pests?

My tomatoes are turning black on the bottom - what is Blossom End Rot, and how to deal with it?

Why is Sevin dust bad (killing pollinators)?

How to fend off a slug invasion?

How to keep other animals away?

Compost (what to put in, how long, etc)?

What is "full sunshine"?

Schedules for planting (maybe in relation to first day of spring)?

Links for IDing a plant/weed/fungus or bug?

If I want to offer a photo for ID, how should I do that (e.g. put it on a Web page, or post to some particular binary NG)?

Any other ideas would be much appreciated!

Reply to
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

There were a good number of rec.gardens FAQs which existed at one time and after migrating once or twice seem to have disappeared from the net.

The rec.gardens.ecosystems FAQ is still available:

problem is not just generating an FAQ but maintaining it. Generic FAQs may be harder to keep up the work and interest in than specialized ones. (The Slug and Snail and Culinary Herb FAQs are well maintained, for example.)

Maybe an occasional posting on how to 'google' up past discussions?

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz