OT; Comments please.

Anyone care to comment?

The Medway Handyman

Only comment I have from a quick listen is that it would be better to have the whole description as the link, not just the word here, as when using screenreaders and link lists, a big pile of links saying here, is not helpful!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

what's a medwa, and why is it yawning so much?

(reminded of the limo company, lastretchlimos.co.uk. I guess they mean LA Stretch, not Last Retch, but the latter is probably more appropriate for some of their clients)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

But not as bad as expertsexchange.com. Intended to be an information exchange for engineers rather than info on transgenderism...

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

'The patio awnings we supply are of extremely high quality and are available in a huge range of colours & patterns'

This should give a link to examples, preferably a full catalogue, if that is practical.

'The range includes standard, half cassette & full cassette awnings - if you are not familiar with those terms we are happy to visit, explain & measure up, then give you a free no obligation estimate.'

You should have hyperlinks to anchors on the awnings type page at 'standard', at 'half cassette' and at 'full cassette', to make it clear that a visit is not the only way to find out what the differences are. People are generally very suspicious of home visits before they have definitely decided to get a quote.

'For more details click here'

As Brian says, this would be much more informative to anybody using a text only browser if phrased as 'For more details, visit our awnings type page' or similar.

The RNIB web site has an excellent section giving advice on how to make your web site accessible to everybody:

While you do well in searches on 'handyman medway', there is a lot more competition for 'awning medway' and you would do well to get this page and the awning type page optimised for search engines. The requirements for that evolve, so it is something that would best be done by a professional who, unlike some of the sites that give outdated advice, will know what the web spiders are looking for today.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Grimly Curmudgeon

In article , The Medway Handyman writes

Grab the .com as well and if you're really paranoid grab both those variants of medway-handyman and medway-awnings while you're at it.

Didn't someone already pull medwayhandyman.com out from under you?

Redirect them all to your main .co.uk sites, it's usually free with only the registration to pay.

Reply to
fred

Is it you or Cyclone Web Design who don't have a clue about what the law requires?

See

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

which appears to apply to incorporated companies registered with Companies House?

which I don't believe TMH is, nor need be

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

You believe wrong, JFGI

TMH 26th May 2012 "I did it for tax reasons. My accountant set it up for about £60."

That aside, he still needs to publish a full contact address on his website.

Would you want to do business with someone with so little clue about the law?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

One way round that is to include a title tag in the link.. so instead of:

For more details click here

Do something like:

For more details click here

Reply to
John Rumm

I am unclear what is NOT full about the address here:

polygonum

Do keep up. It's the old one, sold last year.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

+1 to all he said..

In addition:

I would be tempted to build a dedicated site for this aspect (and possibly also for deck building) then link them altogether. That in itself would give a bigger target area so to speak and add some more inbound links to each site (although google does not award links from sites on the same server as much rank value as ones from different servers IIUC).

Once you have a "sister" site for the awnings bit, it might be worth small investment in an AdAdwords campaign to drive some traffic to it for a bit and see what results you get. (slap some google analytics in there as well so you can actually see what benefit you are getting)

Reply to
John Rumm

how remarkably petty of you

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

gorra link?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

On 13/03/2013 13:22, polygonum wrote: ...

It does not give the company name, it should say registered office, rather than registered address, the registered office address should match the registered office address held at Companies House, there is no company registration number and it does not say which country the company is registered in. An additional correspondence address is acceptable.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I am keeping up - with you saying it did not have a full address. Not that the full address it has is out of date.

Reply to
polygonum

Depends on whether I were looking for a solicitor or a handyman, and secondly if as a consumer, I were even aware (or for that matter interested) in what the legal requirements were.

You will find that there are aspects of the law that are also almost universally ignored, and yet cause little problem in reality. For example there is a requirement for a sign displaying the company name at either the main trading address or registered office.

Reply to
John Rumm

True about company name, registered office, registration number and country. And now I have read that it is an out of date address. But it IS a full address.

Reply to
polygonum